Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I wouldn't give it up. The few times I've used a lot of data was when I was desperate...like during our two day power Outtage last summer. No electricity = no wifi = lots of data usage. Also, when we are on road trips, no wifi in the car.

I'm with AT&T too, I have no plans to give it up! (AT&T users get the plan and subsidized phones, it's no more expensive for us than anyone else).
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    That is Verizon. DH and I are still legacy unlimited. I read that they throttle lte phones at 5 gig. And throttle non lte at 3gigs.
    Ah, yeah, I see the unsub phones are still available with AT&T, I was thinking of Verizon I guess. Sorry, ignore me!

But, the article does say that AT&T
    Those customers clinging to unlimited data plans may not have to monitor their gigabytes, but they also won't get everything the iPhone has to offer. The new iOS 6 operating system that comes with the iPhone 5 offers Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) FaceTime video chat service over the cellular network for the first time, but AT&T has restricted that feature. It's only available to the company's Mobile Share customers.

So, I think they are all going to try their best to keep you from keeping the plan in the future. They'll keep chipping away at it. FWIW, I have Sprint and do appreciate being unlimited, even though I personally don't use that much (surfing just doesn't add up to much, I do do a LOT of that though!!). We have 5 people on a family plan that we use the heck out of. I do agree that your data usage will only increase in the future.

I am not sure what I'd do in the OP's position.

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you ever watch videos or shows, like on Netflix, you blow through it. We used that much data in a week.

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies View Post
    Doesn't Sprint still have an unlimited data plan?
    Yes, Sprint has unlimited data.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Ah, yeah, I see the unsub phones are still available with AT&T, I was thinking of Verizon I guess. Sorry, ignore me!

Those customers clinging to unlimited data plans may not have to monitor their gigabytes, but they also won't get everything the iPhone has to offer. The new iOS 6 operating system that comes with the iPhone 5 offers Apple's (AAPL, Fortune 500) FaceTime video chat service over the cellular network for the first time, but AT&T has restricted that feature. It's only available to the company's Mobile Share customers.

So, I think they are all going to try their best to keep you from keeping the plan in the future. They'll keep chipping away at it. FWIW, I have Sprint and do appreciate being unlimited, even though I personally don't use that much (surfing just doesn't add up to much, I do do a LOT of that though!!). We have 5 people on a family plan that we use the heck out of. I do agree that your data usage will only increase in the future.

Wait, so ATT iPhone 5 users can't do Facetime?

Who else has an unlimited data plan available to new customers? I might switch!

for Sandy Hook

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post

Sprint does. I think they are the only ones.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

What I understand is that you can still do it on wifi, same as now. But not on cellular service (new feature), at least according to that one article.

I have Sprint, I am happy with it. But, I wouldn't be surprised that they start limiting it too.

Dh has unlimited data, text, and calls for 45 dollars a month through straight talk. We're happy with it so far.

The downside is that since there are no contracts, they can (and I'm sure, will) raise their prices at any time.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post

Agreed, AT&T is certainly doing what they can to discourage us from keeping them. I mean the fact that they throttle us at 5 and 3 gigs makes the plans much less attractive. But when you look at the shared plans DH and I would pay the same amount ($170) that we pay now (but what we pay now includes taxes) to share only SIX gigs (but we'd get to add my ipad mini) and have unlimited calling. We don't use 8 gigs a month (DH is on a 4s, so gets throttled at 3 and I have the iphone 5, and would get throttled at 5 gigs), and haven't really come close to it (I've only used 9 gigs of downloading since Sept, and way less for uploads). We haven't missed the facetiming over data network. But do wish we could tether sometimes (which they also restrict for grandfathered plans). It's a tough decision, OP. But, you can do a google hangout over the data network--that's hardly fair, is it!?--but it's a way around the no facetime rule.
    Last edited by larig; 03-13-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: wording didn't make sense
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can, just not on a data network. DH and I've never missed it. But I said in a PP, you can do a google hangout over data network, and it's pretty much the same thing.

BTW, sprint's network is much slower, from what I understand.

ETA: this is a pretty fair comparison http://ipod.about.com/od/beforeyoubu...ndt-Iphone.htm or this, I love imore (the source site) http://www.imore.com/att-vs-verizon-...should-you-get
    Last edited by larig; 03-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast