Default DD2 apparently constipated badly and starting mirilax-suggestions?

DD2 has been having accidents lately and honestly I thought it was a bladder/UTI issue. Ped said she felt "full" when feeling her belly and after we got a urine sample (which was not easy at ALL) he felt her again and said she still felt the same so sent us off for x-rays.

X-rays show her to be moderatly impacted. I asked the nurse what that meant. She said it meant that it can be relieved with mirilax and she doesn't require surgery. Ok, fine. I would have liked a better answer but I'll take it for now until I can talk to our ped tomorrow.

Poor pumpkin never gave a sign of being uncomfortable, bm's have been soft. I had no idea she was in discomfort. They suggest 1tsp at a time once a day to start working up to 3 times a day.

Any suggestions from those who've been there? I remember a thread about constipation that went around recently. I could really use some helpful knowledge about dealing with this.
    DD1 11/02
    DS 11/05
    and
    DD2 2/09

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We're in the middle of this too, so I don't have any real words of wisdom just yet. My DS2 was more than moderately impacted, so we've been "cleaning out" a LOT. He's so sick of having it run down his legs. (As are we, but we know we've got a long road to shrinking things back down to normal size and getting back to normal.) We see the GI in 10 days, so maybe I'll have some tips.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ask the ped, but to me it sounds like she would benefit from a cleanout first, and then maintenance Miralax. We started Miralax at the first signs of constipation at 14-15 months. We started at 1 tsp twice a day now we're down to 1/2 tsp twice a day. So DD2 has been on Miralax for nearly 4 years. If we miss a dose, we risk an episode of constipation.

Good luck!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 03-15-2013 at 10:18 AM.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

A friend told me it is best to eat, drink, eat the entire time you are drinking it. I didn't know that when I tried it or maybe it might have worked better for me. I got better results from limiting bread to sourdough only and if I eat pasta making sure it is one of the high fiber blends. I also feel better when I eat more leafy greens. Good luck and I hope your DD gets better soon.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My only suggestion is to make sure the "laundry undies" are close at hand. (Wait-- other kids besides mine have "laundry day undies" too, right??)... Miralax is a balancing act--a little too little, and it doesn't do anything, and a little too much, and it's...well, it's yucky. So, if your kid has the stained/"racing-stripes" undies and then the nicer undies, make sure you're taking advantage of the stained ones in case something works a little too well.

For what it's worth, my daughter has had to do the cleanout a few times, as has my neice. The worst part, really, is finding the middle ground between nothing and flooding.

Oh, and it can be mixed with nearly any liquid. I've mixed mine with Sprite. DD says it makes milk taste "thick", but doesn't notice it in chocolate milk or apple juice. Sometimes, just for some added help, she gets it in prune juice (oh, my weird child who loves prune juice). My neice says it makes water taste "soapy". It didn't change the taste of my Sprite at all, just made it seem "thicker".
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We've just been going through this too. DD was complaining of a stomach ache and nausea every night, and the doc suggested miralax because her poops were really hard when she had them. They said it would take a week, and I'd say it did.

We were supposed to start with 1/2 capful a day, and up that in a week, but I went more with the whole capful. At first it seemed like her stomach was a little worse, but on maybe day 5, she was in the bathroom and a lot came out. She walked out of the bathroom, and said she thought it was all done. Her stomach felt empty. And she couldn't believe how flat her stomach was - she just kept feeling and looking at it! We kept it up for about another week, and I just stopped it a couple of days ago because she was going like 3 times at school (not dangerous, just embarrassing for her to do at school). But yesterday she didn't go at all until bedtime to help her stomach ache, so I think we'll do a capful every other day or so and see if that regulates things.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD has been on Miralax for a while now because she has always been constipated. We have not done an x-ray, but I know she's got a belly full of poop. It takes a while to get the dose right, so be patient. A few grains too little, the poop is still hard; a few grains too much, watery poop! This probably varies by body size though. Try mixing it in her favorite drink and go from there.

Good luck!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Maintenance dose for my 5yo DD who is 39lbs is 1.5tsp once a day. I agree with others that sometimes you have to start at the higher dosage and work your way down a bit until you find the right amount.

ETA: our ped suggested staying on it for 3months to give the colon a chance to regain shape and elasticity.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Just have a minute here, but typically if a child is somewhat impacted, a cleanout needs to happen before Miralax is used. Maybe the doctor thinks the impaction is small enough that it will work itself out?

Here are a few suggestions from a been-there-done-that mom: make sure your dose of Miralax is dissolved in enough fluid. A full dose, 17 g., requires a full 8 oz of liquid. My son couldn't drink that much liquid in one sititng, so we divided the dose in half (8.5 g.) and dissolved in 4 oz. of liquid. It is also crucial that your child consume the dose--whether a half or a full--in 30 minutes or less. Miralax does not work when put in a sippy and just nursed over the course of many hours.

Not sure how old your child is, but it sounds like she is potty trained? If so, you want to practice good potty sititng. The colon stretches, a lot like a uterus, and you want to help her get it back in shape. Have her sit for a period of at least 5 minutes (with a book, music, whatever) at some scheduled times during the day. Have her place her feet on a stool. Feeling the ground under them is a crucial step in helping them push properly (provides the necessary sensory feedback). Even if she doesn't go, that's fine. And of course, any time she needs to go and wants to additionally is fine.

HTH a little. Do keep an eye, though. If you have lots more water stools, she may be pooping around the impaction. If that continues, it's a sign you need more intervention.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)