Thread: Crying baby

Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Crying baby

My baby is almost 6 weeks old. Until yesterday she was easy going, rarely cried, was easy to comfort, and had no interest in pacifiers. She would go 5 hours between feedings (about 3-4 oz each time) but like 1-3 hours during the day (but she would take more like 1-3 oz). She was spitting up a lot and a few times she vomited.

Yesterday she started crying constantly. We tried the pacifier again and she did take it and it helped some. We were able to feed more like every 3-4 hours and she had closer to 2-3 oz. this continued today.

We have changed her diaper, she isn't cold, or hungry. She will stop for a few minutes than start screaming. Over and over. Thoughts?
    early arrival on 2/3/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No fever?

I wonder if something in her food is bothering her?

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My second child was very easy until 6 weeks. I thought I was over the colicky hump, but no dice. She became VERY difficult, crying whenever she wasn't eating or sleeping. Just uncomfortable in her skin. Eventually (maybe after a month?) I decided maybe she had reflux and there really wasn't any harm in giving her meds for it. So we did. And she got a lot better. But the doc was right when she said because she started her fussiness late, it lasted a little longer. It was at about 4 months when she calmed down and wasn't crying so much and didn't need meds anymore.

I did spend a lot of time bouncing on a ball with her which kept her quiet, wrapping her up tight in a swaddle, popping in a pacifier and putting her in a bouncy seat to get her to sleep. I made sure the crying and uncomfortableness didn't stop her sleeping and regular naps. But those were a hard couple of months.

Hopefully this is more of a hiccup for your DC, but if not, think about trying the reflux meds. They're really not bad and could turn things around!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd first check with the Ped that nothing is actually bothering her or causing pain. If there's nothing wrong with her, then go get the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD ASAP, it was a Godsend with DS (it's normal for babies to cry for no reason from 2-8 weeks, and the worse is around 6-7 weeks IIRC)
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

6 weeks is about when my daughter started her problems with regular formula, we switched to similac sensitive and it helped a lot. The iron in some regular formula irritates the tummy
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

Jupiter is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    I'd first check with the Ped that nothing is actually bothering her or causing pain.
    Just put in a call. Waiting to hear from them! She definitely seems uncomfortable.

She is on the similac sensitive.
    early arrival on 2/3/13

I think it's not uncommon for babies to 'wake up' around 4-6 weeks. The Healthy Sleep Habits book says that's when they figure out they can keep themselves awake, they don't sleep and then become overtired and can't sleep, etc. Could also be a growth spurt. I posted a similar question when DD was about 6 weeks old. Could not make her comfortable, thought it might be colic reflux, tried an elimination diet, gripe water, the Happy Baby 5 S's, etc. to no avail. In the end I've decided I was keeping her up to long. Now we go no more than 2 hours between naps, sometimes as little as 45 minutes if she's shows she's tired, etc. I also bought a rock 'n play which has been a lifesaver, I wish I had known about them with DS. I've learned she often needs a dark room, white noise, rock n play or swing (she doesn't seem to like being held and rocked), and sometimes a swaddle to sleep. It's been about 3 weeks and things are much better now, hope you are able to figure out what's wrong soon - good luck!
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Just put in a call. Waiting to hear from them! She definitely seems uncomfortable.

She is on the similac sensitive.
    Is she on formula exclusively? If you're also BF it might also be something you ate. Though at this age it's common for them to suddenly become fussy.

When DD was 5 months I ate some BBQ ribs, I ordered the mild sauce, but they were very spicy IMO. Poor DD, that night she cried and cried, couldn't sleep, writhed in pain, wanted to nurse non-stop. And she never cries! I felt really guilty, to say the least. I had identified some foods that upset her, but never that much, usually it was just a lot more spit up but no discomfort.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

6 wks is common peak for fussies. Even with FF, 5 hrs sounds like a really long time between feeds and the volumes sound high. I'd do smaller feeds more often
    shannon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another Queen of the House of Boys:
    DS#1 2003
    DS#2 my mother's day gift 2012
    DH
    Mikey, the cat and rhinestone-collared, pink-leashed Schatze, our Rottweiler girl