Default 2 days romantic gateway destination?

We have a chance to plan a romantic weekend for DH and I (long overdue, we barely had few date nights since DD was born almost 4 years ago!). my mom is coming to stay with us for a few weeks in a month and we thought to use an opportunity and plan something, a chance like that likely won't present itself for another few years - no family nearby, DH's are a day drive away, mine are in Europe. So first we thought of a night at a romantic resort in the mountains. Then a fun night out in Manhattan. But we can actually book a flight somewhere , leave Fri night and be back Sunday. Any ideas? We didn't really travel anywhere, were in Virginia Beach and Miami before kids.. Thought of vegas LOL but we're in the East Coast! We need to rekindle, our marriage have been on the rocks for a while... TIA!
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just booked charleston, SC. We've also done Miami and had a great time. HTH
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did Vegas from the East Coast last year and the time change really worked in our favor! We left early Friday morning and arrived in Vegas about 1-2 hours later than when we left. We had a whole day on Friday, which was pretty awesome. We forced ourselves to stay up on Friday.

I like DC b/c when you are without your kids, you can really enjoy the museums vs rushing through. Lots of good food and nice hotels too.

Manhattan would be a lot of fun too.

What would you want to do, ideally? Shop? See shows? Be outdoorsy? Eat out at nice restaurants? Sightsee? Chill? What do you love to do?

Hillview: I just read your thread, that sure sounds like fun, and I actually always wanted to visit Savannah, maybe will look into old threads

SnuggleBuggles: thanks, maybe Vegas is too far.. DC, not really interested in museums, that is a great city for a family trip when DD gets older, and we can easily drive there too!
    I was thinking Savannah now, I have ALWAYS wanted to see it, the old charm, plantations, cobblestone streets . We'd fly early Saturday morning, walk around, people and buildings watch, have lunch in the park somewhere, check in, then venture out in the evening again, sit out in a nice restaurant, maybe do a ghost tour (I love such things!), just have a nice relaxing time spent only two of us hanging out. Check out Sunday and spend the day there, then fly back in the evening. Now off to see what actually there is to see and do in Savannah!
    My sweet and curly haired DD 4
    ...and expecting someone new mid April 2014

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was going to say Savannah! It's lovely and romantic, you can go out for a great dinner or two and just enjoy strolling around the city during the day.

Other thoughts are Charleston, SC or Bermuda.
    DS age 9

I agree with both the Charleston and Savannah suggestions. Savannah is very romantic and very walkable with a lot of great places to eat. Nashville is nice, too. It has many quiet spots tucked away but it also has the conveniences of a larger city.