Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

We didn't do a glider but a rocker/recliner. For us it was invaluable. Although I think that char is cute I don't think it looks very comfy.
    DD1 Jan '10
    DD2 Jan '12

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Pretty important IMO. The movement is what calmed my babies.

i would rather get a plain old, cheap wooden rocking chair from CL or a garage sale that to have a nice upholstered chair, however comfy, that did not rock or glide. i found that the movement was key, especially when they were babies. whenever we traveled (to the ILs, or to a hotel, or whatever) for the first several years i h.a.t.e.d not having a rocking chair at night bc that was the oftne the only thing (other than nursing) that calmed them down.

i have two Dutalier XL gliders (one in each kids room). My dc are 2 and 3 and still always ask me to rock them for a bit each night. I don't use the recline feature that much anymore but i loved having it for the first year or so, so i could rest in it too while i nursed ds.

Tea4two is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have 2 dutalier gliders. One is in my family room and one in baby's room. DS loved to rock. It was part of our bedtime routine until about age 2. DD seems to like it as well, definitely calms her down. For our family, the gliders have been very useful.
    DS 1/2010
    And new addition DD 1/2013

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've never had a glider for either kid and never missed it. I did have an Ikea Pong chair that worked great for nursing in with my Brest Friend Pillow. For me, having an exercise ball around was a must have-- I'd gently bounce DS2 while he was swaddled and it would always calm him and put him to sleep immediately. I think I bounced him to sleep on that ball till after his first birthday! Just a few minutes and he'd be out! Best $15 ever spent and it's great for sitting on while pregnant as well (helps you sit up straight and prevents posterior babies).
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

We never had a glider. We have a cheapo JC Penney rocking chair that we used some with #1. #2 and #3 never liked rocking. I find that every child is really different. DS liked the rocker and the vibrating motion of the bouncy chair. My girls preferred the swing, though #3 just wanted to squirm on the floor way sooner than the the first two. In an ideal world, I'd tell first time moms to wait until the baby's here and borrow things to see what the baby likes best before investing $$$ in gear they might not need. But I know the nesting urge to get everything set up ahead of time!
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

Thanks ladies! I'm on the fence now. I really dislike the look of the gliders, so maybe I'll get the chair and bring a yoga ball into the nursery in case baby needs to be rocked/bounced to sleep. Ugh. I guess i still have some time before I have to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    I would highly recommend investing your money in a rocking, upholstered chair, preferably with a recliner. I have a rocking upholstered chair that cost $600, I think, from a company called Little Castle, I believe. Through two children, I have spent more time in that chair than any other piece of furniture, including my bed ! If there's any way you can afford it, get a really, really comfortable chair that rocks. You will most likely end up falling asleep in it, so a recliner would be great. I decided not to spend the extra money for the recliner, and I really regret it. Do you NEED this item? No, but you don't need any piece of baby equipment, really. If I had to pick the single most important item to have for a baby, though, I would pick the chair!!! Seriously.
    I couldn't agree with this post more!!!

Sent from my SGH-T989
    DD#1 11/23/05
    DD#2 12/9/10
    DD#3 9/4/13

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I look at that chair and think, what are you going to do when the baby FINALLY falls asleep on you and you are afraid to move for fear of disturbing them? It looks horribly uncomfortable, honestly. I used my glider most with my second. With the first, I used a chair-and-a-half, which was comfy when he fell asleep on me (and I fell asleep in the chair) but hard to get out of with a sleeping baby in my arms.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

jam224 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it just depends on the baby. I bought a really nice PBK glider off of CL, thinking I'd use it all time, but I actually hardly ever sat in it at all! Newborn DD preferred to be bounced while we were standing/pacing and I always nursed her in our bed or on the couch. I never needed to rock her to sleep (a blessing!), so this was one purchase that I sort of regretted. A glider isn't for everyone!
    Jennifer
    SAHM to DD1 (11yo) and DD2 (5yo)

I used a wing back chair like that all the time when DS was a baby. I also had a wooden rocker, but because of my broken tailbone (in delivery) I wasn't able to sit in it with him immediately, and by the time I could, our nursing/feeding routine in the stuffed chair was established. I never had trouble transferring him once he was asleep. The chair was great for pumping after he was down as well. I really liked the upright back. Now it's back in the den which is where it lived before DS was born.

I guess it depends on the baby, and you can't know before they're born, but this is how my thought process went. I was all set to buy a fancy, stuffed glider and my best friend cautioned me not to as she'd spend $$$ on one and neither of her girls liked it. I took the money I would have spent on it and spent it on a stroller instead
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast