Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I got an awesome rocker/recliner from Lazy Boy (their sweet petites collection, so it's not huge) for DS2's room. I paid about $350 for it, including getting it treated.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    I guess it depends on the baby, and you can't know before they're born, but this is how my thought process went. I was all set to buy a fancy, stuffed glider and my best friend cautioned me not to as she'd spend $$$ on one and neither of her girls liked it. I took the money I would have spent on it and spent it on a stroller instead
    I like this idea! A nice stroller is way more important in my eyes! Buy a nice stroller and then wait till after baby gets here to see you really need a glider.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I like this idea! A nice stroller is way more important in my eyes! Buy a nice stroller and then wait till after baby gets here to see you really need a glider.
    I think someone said above that a lot of baby purchases could wait until the baby's arrival. And with hindsight, that's true. But it's super hard to believe that when you have full blown nesting fever. Also, you never know how difficult it will be to get out and about after giving birth, so it can be a good idea to plan ahead. But if I was doing this for a 2nd time I think I'd do some things differently. I was pretty darn sure I needed a stroller because of our lifestyle, but the glider was a real gamble. I guess my advice to anyone planning a nursery is to weigh each purchase as to how truly necessary it might be immediately, vs. things that you might be able to wait-and-see.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

I said above that I'd consider the chair the number one most important baby item, and I stand by my comments. However, it can wait. DS slept in the bed with me until he was 8 months. We bounced him on the exercise ball. He was a colicky mess, and there was no way he was sleeping in a crib down the hall, more's the pity, and forget about gentle rocking! After eight months, we used the chair constantly. DD slept in our room in a bassinet for a whole bunch of months, too. In the case of either baby, we didn't really use the nursery for a while, so we could have waited to furnish it.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Everyone told me a rocker and/or glider was absolutely a necessity when we had DC. We opted instead to put a couch in the nursery, and we couldn't be happier. We were able to stretch out on it for feedings, and it is so comfortable. It's also great for playtime.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My opinion is "you will find a way to do without". We never had a glider and instead had a rocker in the nursery. While it was a very comfortable chair, we rarely used it. Opting instead to feed baby downstairs or on a bed. We never had a glider so we never missed it.

The same goes for a swing. We never had one and never missed it.

Get what you like; you and baby will find a way .

PS I too think a good stroller is a must!!

MommyLamb- thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into lazyBoy.

MontrealMum- I'm a stroller fiend and am getting a Bee and already bought the BOB, lol. The glider/ chair will be above that .

I think I may stick with the chair I found at Ikea (unless i see a nice affordable one at lazyboy). It actually is very comfortable and cushy, has a bit of a recline so not completely upright. And the wings are at just the right spot to lean my head on. I figure if I don't start with a glider baby won't know the difference. And I brought a mom friend of mine to sit in it and get her perspective and she really liked it. She said she hates her glider now because its just ugly, and she can't get rid of it because her DH's sister bought it for them. She wishes she had just bought a nice looking, comfortable regular chair.

Oh and I'll prob get the matching ottoman .

Btw- I love the couch idea, but unfortunately our room isn't big enough to fit one . A friend did this in her nursery and loved it as well .

Thanks again ladies!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad I found this thread. I had just looked at this very chair online, and I am glad that someone already tried sitting in it and thought it was comfortable.

I have been worried about getting a rocking chair or glider. I'll be blunt: I'm a klutz. I am petrified about trying to get into a chair that moves while holding my child. I'm sure that I would eventually get the hang of it, but I am very scared about trying to sit down, missing, and then scaring the baby, if not hurting the poor thing.

I liked the idea of the armrests as a place to balance my arm and/or a bottle. And if the baby needs to be rocked, I can still do it by leaning forward and back until I get exhausted. But my sister did tell me that the most important piece of furniture in the baby's room is probably the chair, so I will try it out as well.

Are there rockers that remain stationary when you sit in them, and then you flip a lever like on a Lazy Boy, and they will then rock?

Am I overthinking this?
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Mali is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Still-in-Shock View Post

Are there rockers that remain stationary when you sit in them, and then you flip a lever like on a Lazy Boy, and they will then rock?
    I believe Dutailier has that feature. I think it's called auto lock and when weight shifts to the front of the seat it can't glide. It's been a while since I was really researching them though.

I'm re-opening this thread because I think I may be back on the rocker/glider/recliner train . What are your thoughts on this one I found? Wayfair sells it, it's bonded leather so I hope it wipes clean, and I like how modern it looks. Reminds me of higher end baby boutique recliner/gliders but for a fraction of the price.

Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367014989.712528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast