Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Argh! Cruise cancelled

Argh! So recall all those headlines about the stranded Carnival Triumph? Well, DH and I had a trip booked on it for the last week of April. This week, we found out that they are extending their dry dock and our trip is cancelled. My parents were flying down to babysit DD for us, and their tickets are already purchased and non-refundable, so we can't just switch weeks. And although I'm nervous about leaving DD for the first time, DH and I need this trip -- between DD and crazy work, we really need some time to relax alone together. So....anyone have suggestions for somewhere else we could go that wouldn't be too expensive? The cruise was "cheap" because we were driving to the port, so we didn't have to pay airplane tickets. Anywhere else we've thought of so far (Vegas, for example) has crazy high airfare. We're definitely not opposed to flying somewhere, we just can't spend all our trip budget (~$1000) on the airplane because we'd still have to pay for lodging, food, etc. But I would love anyone's suggestions of what else to consider....we're looking for a low-key "relax" trip, not a big active sightseeing trip. Thanks!
    Lizi

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't know where you are coming from, but can you take another cruise?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where are you? Have you looked at Jet Blue or other discount airliners? What about a resort hotel in/near your hometown?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    I don't know where you are coming from, but can you take another cruise?
    That was our first idea -- but timing has to be exact b/c my parents' flights can't be changed -- and so far the only option that would work would require us to buy plane tickets that pretty much double the cost of the cruise. (We were going to leave out of Galveston, TX).
    Lizi

Can you drive to New Orleans?

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you considered Cancun? We were there last summer and there were a lot of people from Texas that said the trip was pretty cheap.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Good idea!

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm sorry! I looked at RCC and Princess and neither have anything leaving the last week of April - out of NO or Galveston.

How about a trip to the TX Hill Country? We stayed at a B&B around Dripping Springs one long weekend and it was wonderful. Or maybe the San Antonio Riverwalk? If you'd like to get "out of town" so to speak I would second the Jet Blue rec. We flew to Boston last summer for $200 each.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Good idea -- this is one of our top contenders right now. However, we lived in New Orleans before we moved to Texas and have been there pretty recently. So while we love the city, we were hoping for something new. (Not that I don't appreciate the suggestions, keep 'em coming!)
    Lizi

Quote Originally Posted by lcarlson90 View Post
    Have you considered Cancun? We were there last summer and there were a lot of people from Texas that said the trip was pretty cheap.
    Hmmm...not really, I think we kind of just assumed out of country would be too expensive, but I will take a look right now!
    Lizi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast