Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default aide, teacher, parent duties

We recently started to provide an aide to DS at his school. This also coincided with him moving to a new classroom. While the teacher is a known face to DS she never has really interacted with him in his classroom. At the same time we are now able to provide DS with an aide so we started that too. The therapist going in as an aide knows DS well and has experience being an aide to other kids. The teacher also has experience having an aide in the classroom. Now, I am new to the aide thing and so is DS. But I think DS will figure it out based on the aide and teacher. I, however, am having some trouble figuring out who to check with regarding DS' performance in school. I think at this time I am duplicating, by checking with both but I am sure there are specifics I can speak about with each but I am unable to figure it out. Could someone guide me, please? than you.

Request that the school participate in a communication book. Can be as simple as a notebook that goes between school and home. In the morning you can write how he is doing and how the previous night was at home. This gives them important information as to how or why he is acting a certain way at school. Then either the aide or teacher writes in the book how his day went. A short summary on good days and a longer one when warranted. You also have a good record of how things are going instead of trying to save e-mails and looking back.

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a daily communication folder that the aide writes in. She uses a form that has 4 sections - I can't remember all but it is basically broken down into - Behavious issues, social skills, challenges faced and other items.
    Our setup is that the aide only deals with behaviour and motivation and all academics issues are the responsibility of the teacher. Any academic issues are communicated in his agenda by the teacher. For example - if he didn't do his homework and had a consequence. Sometimes if it is a particularly bad or good day there will be a short note from the teacher in the agenda also.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6