Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chicco Polly?

Default Chicco Polly?

A friend is asking my advice on her registry, and this is the high chair she thinks she wants. What do you think? I know she wants a high chair with wheels that has its own tray. Which is your favorite? I have a Fisher Price Rainforest, which gets food in the notches where the legs meet the chair, under the cushion, but is otherwise fine except for being huge and ugly as sin.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had a Chicco Mama high chair (the model before the Polly) and I loved it. It lasted through my 2 kids and was loaned to 2 or 3 other people as well. I loved having the wheels and the recline came in handy when my DS decided that eating was just too exhausting and passed out in the high chair.... just reclined him back and he snoozed!

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I hated our Polly highchair because it's so hard to clean. It has so many little crevices where food can get stuck, that I had to take it outide and hose it down while scrubbing every little crevice with a brush. I had to vacuum the seat after every meal, because ther'd be crumb everywhere. Also the " dishwasher safe" trays don't fit in standard dishwashers, they're too long. The seat cushion we had was fabric (noy vinyl) and it said "spot clean only". Are you kidding me? Of course I threw it in the washer several times, and it came out OK. This was in 2008, I don't know if there have been improvements to the current model.

I like everything else about it, although the footprint is big. I left it at my parents' house and got a Kettler Tipp Topp wodden high chair for home, and that's what we used for DD.

ETA: if I was choosing one now, I'd look at the Keekaroo, the infant insert looks better than the Kettler's. I'd advice your friend to look for a simpler chair that's easy to clean! Plus the trip trap type chairs have a longer lifespan since they can continue to use them as toddlers and preschoolers, the Chicco won't be used past 18 months IMO
    Last edited by edurnemk; 03-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    I hated our Polly highchair because it's so hard to clean. It has so many little crevices where food can get stuck, that I had to take it outide and hose it down while scrubbing every little crevice with a brush. I had to vacuum the seat after every meal, because ther'd be crumb everywhere. Also the " dishwasher safe" trays don't fit in standard dishwashers, they're too long. The seat cushion we had was fabric (noy vinyl) and it said "spot clean only". Are you kidding me? Of course I threw it in the washer several times, and it came out OK. This was in 2008, I don't know if there have been improvements to the current model.

I like everything else about it, although the footprint is big. I left it at my parents' house and got a Kettler wodden high chair for home, and that's what we used for DD.
    yes...all of this! we had one for dd1 in 2008, and i did NOT like it at all. so hard to clean. a million cracks for her to stuff sweet potatoes into. i gave it to my sister. she likes it ok, has used it with both her dd's so far and plans to use it again. we bought the tripp trapp instead and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Yes to this, but replaced with an ikea plastic one. Best $20 ever

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had one circa 2007 and used it for both girls. I agree with PPs, to many cracks and crevices, especially in the tray itself. I remember taking a toothpick to the seams to get baby food out. Not fun.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Had one from 2006 and so much food got caught in the cracks and crevices. Cleaning it was a total PITA.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hate ours and would sell it if DH would let me.

It's bulky, food collects in the cushions (which are counterintuitive to put onto the frame), the shell gets gross, and it takes up way too much floor real estate.

The only thing I like about it is that ours has two snap-on tray "covers" that made it easier to clean the tray.

We use the IKEA Antilop at my mom's and the in-laws' houses. Best $20 we've ever spent.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 03-22-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Tea4two is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have a Graco Blossom. I'm pretty happy with it, been using it for about 3 years. It wipes off easily, has multiple trays, and tray cover, is on wheels. It comes with a separate booster, which we have used for dinner at friends and traveling. It converts to a booster and youth chair. It has a lot of features and is not too expensive.
    DS 1/2010
    And new addition DD 1/2013

Wow! The Graco blossom looks great!!! If I were buying a high chair now, I'd seriously consider that one! I'm going to send that link to my friend.

The Tripp Trapp and it's ilk don't meet my friend's requirement of wheels, but thank you all for the suggestions!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast