MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need Matching Non-Identical Outfits

We have family pictures next month and we are using a really good photographer and paying much more than we normally do. I want to have the boys wear outfits that look good together, but aren't neccessarily identical. Suggestions on good stores where I could find outfits that look nice?? I'm really bad at finding coordinating outfits. Then I need to find some for DH and I!

I am no expert on boy clothes, but knowing ages might help those who are to help you.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have read multiple times that it is best to start with your outfit, selecting something you feel good in. Where will the pictures be taken? What will the temperatures be like? Would you prefer for the outfits to be more formal or casual? What is your overall style (i.e. what types of clothes would your family wear to church or out to dinner)?

ETA: Gap and Old Navy are normally safe casual bets for color schemes to coordinate a family (possibly crossing over to Banana Republic for adults)
    Last edited by Melbel; 03-22-2013 at 11:12 PM.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sorry! I should have included ages. The boys will be 1 and 4.5. We'll be outside at a park. It's hard to tell what the weather will be like, as at the end of April it could be 85 or 45!! I"d like to do something not too dressy, but not super casual.

Good idea to start with my outfit! That's the one I'm already struggling with. I don't even know what to start with me. I wear jeans and a sweatshirt every day since I SAH, and I need to update my wardrobe!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Old Navy has some cute roll sleeve shirts for boys that could be worn either way based on the temperature.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=41785

I'm eyeing the plaid one at the bottom for our spring pictures if it ever comes back in stock.

Eta:someone posted a link to this photographers family outfits awhile ago and it might give some inspiration. http://fancifulphotography.com/blog/index.php/2013/01/23/wardrobe-wednesday-sarasota-bradenton-family-photographer/
    Last edited by mikala; 03-23-2013 at 04:32 PM.

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I do COORDINATED outfits for my boys often. They obviously go together, but no too matchy-matchy.

I have good luck at Gymboree & at Crazy8. They have the same or similar lines in sizes that can cover both kids. If your older ds can still wear 5T or under you're really in luck because you can buy from the same exact line and get perfectly coordinated things.

For photos once they were both in Crazy8 things. DS2 had a solid color thermal style shirt in a burgandy & DS2 had something from the same line that was a totally different style, but the same burgandy and gray were in it. I wore a gray top & I think DH was in navy or black (which ever one was the accent color in ds1's outfit). We didn't look great in the pics, but the clothes looked just right.

DS1 wears a 6 & DS2 is a 3t. Recently I got the younger one a bow tie and the older one a regular tie in the same print at both Crazy8 AND at Target, too. I also just had good luck at H&M with some shirt + tie sets that coordinated great together.

Sometimes I get them the same thing from Lands End, but in different colors.

Good luck!

It can be fun to dress boys.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

janie and jack are $$ but always have sets of outfits.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Once you have a color/idea for you, I am sure there are many here who are willing to post suggestions for the children.

For inspiration, I have a pinterest board re. what to wear for photos: http://pinterest.com/melissabfl/phot...-what-to-wear/

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Gymboree, Crazy 8, and Janie and Jack have all been great for finding color-coordinated outfits for kids. I've had luck sometimes at gap kids too.

Once you find outfits for the kids, then use some colors from their outfit to find pieces in yours and DH's wardrobe to find yours. At least that is how I go about it.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Janie and Jack for little boys.