Default After balance bike?

My twins are soon to turn 4 and doing awesome on their Strider bikes. It seems like they're starting to get tall for them and I think they're ready for real bikes now. Any advice on what I should look for in the new bikes or is one 16" bike pretty much as good as another? I've looked a little and noticed that some have a hand brake as well as the pedal brakes. Is this a good feature to have? Just trying to figure out if I should be considering anything other than the bike's paint and stickers!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'm not an expert on bikes, but we thought about the weight of the bike. Heavier bikes are harder to learn to ride and you also inevitably end up carrying it sometimes so I'm glad we went with a lighter bike. Heavier bikes are usually cheaper though.

From what I read most 4 year olds cannot handle hand brakes so pedal brakes are a better choice at that age. I guess if they have both they can grow into the hand brakes? I don't know, our bike only has pedal brakes.

I would also look at stand over height more than wheel size. Children's bikes are sized by the size of the tires rather than by the size of the frame the way that adult bikes are. So this means that one 16 inch bike, which means it has 16 inch tires, may be too big for your child (because the frame is large) while another is just the right size.

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would consider the size of your children. My DS has been on the petite side, so I had to consider the weight of the bike in addition to the size.

PP mentioned that different brands can fit differently.

My DS had a 16" Trek Jet, and then a 20" Specialized Hotrock. The Hotrock is light and shorter than many other brands. I got it on Craigslist.
    Stefani

Mommy to DS born 5 Sep 03

My son is 5 but went from a balance bike to a 12 in (no training wheels). He's ready for a 16in now but last summer when he could ride he didn't want something so big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk