Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ckso is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cigarette smoke in ear for ear infection???

Do I somehow got a pretty bad case of ear infection in both ears, am taking antiobiotics but is still feeling pain, nausea and dizziness.

So I was telling my neighbors (and one of them used to be a nurse) offers to blow cigarette smoke in my ears. They swear by it and says it helps with the pain and lightheadedness, helps with the mucus inside, etc. etc. Even said they did it for a couple of kids in the neighborhood who told them it helped.

Have anyone heard of this??? Sounds bizarre to me but I'm ready to try anything that would help. Would it make it worse??

My neighbors are not quacks and greatly respected by everyone on the block.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Actually yes. But was cigar smoke my grandmother used to do it for my hear aches as a child. I think its the nicotine that helps deaden the pain That was about 40 yrs ago so I dont remember clearly but I remember her lighting one of grandpaps swisher sweet cigars and blowing the warm smoke in my ear.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids all got multiple ear infections. Every single time we went to a doctor for an ear infection, they would ask me, "Does anyone smoke in the home?" Smoking increases ear infections, so I can't imagine this would be a good choice for the long term.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

I can't see how this would cure the ear infection, unless it's the pain-numbing aspect pointed out above.

The tympanic membrane closes off the ear canal from the middle ear, so no way for the smoke to get to where the infection is.

Breathing in smoke means poorer air quality and yes that's been linked to ear infections.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    My kids all got multiple ear infections. Every single time we went to a doctor for an ear infection, they would ask me, "Does anyone smoke in the home?" Smoking increases ear infections, so I can't imagine this would be a good choice for the long term.
    It wasn't done for long term it was done to deaden pain for ear infections. Has to do with the nicotine & heat to help reduce pain. Its a folk remedy of sorts. Our nearest dr was a 50 min drive and in the middle of the night you got aspirin, smoke from grandma and while she heated up a bag of salt in a cotton bag to lay on < make shift heating pad>

OP also take a clove of garlic and shave some onto a spoon fill the spoon with olive oil and touch it to the stove burner till it bubbles. REmove from the stove let it cool to the touch remove the piece of garlic then put in your ear tuck a cotton ball in. That helped too.
    Last edited by JBaxter; 03-27-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh interesting! I can see where there might be something to it.
    Something to keep in mind during the zombie apocalypse. Until then I would probably just stick with advil and antibiotics.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Oh interesting! I can see where there might be something to it.
    Something to keep in mind during the zombie apocalypse. Until then I would probably just stick with advil and antibiotics.
    Glad you find it amusing The OP asked if anyone had heard of it. I had first hand knowledge of it. BEFORE advil and treating every ear infection with antibiotics many things were done homeopathically to treat infections/pain. I'm almost 46 and and many ear infections as a young child none of which were treated by a doctor. The country doctor we had didn't treat them.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Glad you find it amusing The OP asked if anyone had heard of it. I had first hand knowledge of it. BEFORE advil and treating every ear infection with antibiotics many things were done homeopathically to treat infections/pain. I'm almost 46 and and many ear infections as a young child none of which were treated by a doctor. The country doctor we had didn't treat them.
    I actually don't think it's amusing, (especially since the OP is in pain) but I do find it interesting.
    OP my point was that based on JBaxter's experience, and just thinking about the nicotine, that it could very well be that it could help alleviate your pain and if you had no other alternatives (like if you lived long ago or did not have access to medical care), then maybe it would be something to try.
    I myself have a condition that could be treated by smoking marijuana. It has been shown to help my condition. But it can also be treated with a pill, and saves my lungs from the smoke.
    I personally would rather avoid the smoke, even if it "works". Same kind of deal with whisky on babies' gums.

It's true though, that I am in a light-hearted mood today, and admit that the thought just crossed my mind to consider adding some additional crops to our herb garden to help treat my condition if the situation should ever arise.

OP, I hope you can find some relief!
    DD
    DS

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    OP also take a clove of garlic and shave some onto a spoon fill the spoon with olive oil and touch it to the stove burner till it bubbles. REmove from the stove let it cool to the touch remove the piece of garlic then put in your ear tuck a cotton ball in. That helped too.
    I have also done olive oil and cinnamon. Put the 2 together in a small pot, warmed it up on the stove. Used a paper towel as a "sieve" for the cinnamon (I only had the ground kind) and used a dropper to put some in the ear canal. My daughter's ear pain from her ear infection was completely gone within 30 minutes.

I have also used a whole, peeled garlic clove that I laid on the outside of the ear canal (in the ear, just not IN the ear canal). This also helps with pain.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No, not cigarette smoke! Gin! My Mom swears by this. A few drops in each ear to kill the bacteria and dry up the fluid.
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast