Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What is the trend to grid or not to grid (windows)

We are replacing our windows and I don't know whether to choose a window with or without grids. We are in a colonial. Most homes on the street have grids but are they going out of style? Is there a current trend when it comes to windows. Wwyd?
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

Some things are timeless, like good quality. Stick with a reputable company and to the style of your home and just be consistent. If you have a colonial style home, go with the grids if you like them. On our first 80s home, we replaced windows w/out grids. It was a newer style home, so it looked consistent with the style.

We now have a classic brick home from the 60s and went with grids, but when we replaced the French doors on the back, we went with prairie grids on a French door style sliding door. They look so good on our house; they make me swoon.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

We didn't. I like the unobstructed view so much better, and it was both a more expensive option and permanent - the grids are sandwiched between the two panes of glass so they can never be removed.

I'm not sure what the current trend is, but I'd say about half of the houses in our neighborhood have them and half don't.

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

I'm in PA and live in a colonial too and our windows don't have grids, and I hate it. I think it looks wierd without them. I think grids are part of the colonial aesthetic, like shutters and window candles. I'm getting an estimate for a new kitchen window and it irks me that I can't get the grids in it because it won't match with the rest of the plain windows. Grrr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wish I'd done grids on top and nothing on the bottom. Is that an option?

I feel strongly that this is a decision that should be made on the basis of the architecture of the house rather than on trends. I believe the grid on top, open on bottom is a bungalow style? And I believe colonials call for the whole window to have a grid.

Catherine

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...w=1024&bih=672
    Last edited by crl; 03-29-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Typos

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Our 2 story living room window (facing back) do not have them, I wouldn't want them to impede the view (wooded). Our kitchen windows do not have them, but they are kind of small. Our formal dining and our den windows - lower and transom - do have them (facing front). I actually can't think if the bedroom windows do or don't.....

I think either is fine. I don't notice on other people's houses, honestly. They just aren't that big of a feature either way on the style of house I'm used to here. The style here doesn't scream for them or against them, is I guess what I'm saying. I do notice one house that has panes on the left window of the dining room, but not the right. I don't know why. Maybe one slides over the other? I'm not sure, but it does jump out at me. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you who has what.

Do make sure you get the internal ones, the window cleaning crew we use charges $3 per pane no matter the size. So, our giant back windows would be $3, but the smaller front windows would be $27 if they were exterior grids.

eta - crl is spot on with that link though! For those style of homes, yes, do the grids!

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I feel strongly that this is a decision that should be made on the basis of the architecture of the house rather than on trends.
    This x 1,000,000.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I feel strongly that this is a decision that should be made on the basis of the architecture of the house rather than on trends. I believe the grid on top, open on bottom is a bungalow style? And I believe colonials call for the whole window to have a grid.

Catherine

http://www.google.com/search?q=what+...w=1024&bih=672
    I, too, agree with Catherine x1000000!

True divided lights will be most appropriate, but you can fake it if you must. I lean towards rehabbing wood windows versus replacing, especially if you live in a truly colonial era home, so I am definitely biased towards authenticity.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We built a Craftsman type (not true Craftsman, but similar) a few years ago. We didn't get the grids. I hated them without it. So this past year, DH got me the grids as my mothers day present. We have the grids on the front and sides, but not in the back because we live on 14 acres and wanted to see the deer and woods. I'm much happier with the grids. It completes the look of the house. Ours are obviously the removeable ones since we got them after the windows were installed. I've had no problems with them. In fact, I don't think the windows we chose came with the ones inside the pane. Our builder said it was better to get good quality windows and put the grids on the outside.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast