Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default HELP! How do I get the cat diarrhea out of the carpet?

It's absolutely all over. Yes, obviously, my cat is sick :-(. I'll deal with that ... somehow ... but the carpet? No fewer than 10 separate stains absolutely everywhere in the same room (where I work -- he's trying to tell me something) mushed and dried into the carpet. Puke is easy, you have to let that stuff dry first, and it comes up lickity split, but not poop. You ahve to get that up immediately, and this diarrhea is all over from yesterday after I'd been done in the room for the day. I have very bad luck getting up the poop. I can deal with the stain after, but getting it OUT of the carpet fibers (white - I moved into it, not my choice) is what I need help with. Anyone have any tricks? Ugh.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My suggestion is a carpet cleaner and go at each stain from multiple angles. You probably will need to do this several times. Or just rip out the carpet.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Try an enzyme based cleaner like biokleen or nature's miracle. That breaks down biological stuff pretty well. I'd soak in that, let it sit for a while, and then blot, blot, blot. You might have to pour a little water on there to rehydrate the ickiness and then blot, blot, blot. Repeat with biokleen and more water and do it again.

Sorry you are dealing with that

eta: agree with a carpet cleaner afterward possibly to get into the fibers as much as possible.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would call professionals and let them know there is fecal matter involved.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Usually i do this cleaning myself, I've never had a professional carpet cleaning. But ... I'm considering it. I have out of town guests staying in a week and a half. Why does this have to happen now?
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had a cat who was sick for many months with diarrhea. Despite every intervention and treatment option, he continued to have diarrhea and his area of choice most days was my cream-colored carpet. In our experience, even cleaning it with a carpet cleaner immediately after didn't help a ton. That smell and the stains just never went 100% away. We would use Natures Miracle and Folex (we buy it at Lowes), then wash with hot water in the cleaner. It worked good enough...

Word of warning, though....after our cat died, we tore up the carpet. Again, our cat was sick like this for months. But the sub flooring was stained and even smelled a bit, so we had to have that taken care of before putting down new carpeting.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh no! Poor kitty and poor you! I've never had to deal with cat poop, but my cats are both pukers, so we have to do clean up on a regular basis. DH hates it. We just use the woolite pet stain and odor remover and it works pretty well. Not sure how it would work on poop though.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love Tech stain remover. It was recommended by our carpet installers. You don't want anything that has soap in it.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by icunurse View Post
    We had a cat who was sick for many months with diarrhea. Despite every intervention and treatment option, he continued to have diarrhea and his area of choice most days was my cream-colored carpet. In our experience, even cleaning it with a carpet cleaner immediately after didn't help a ton. That smell and the stains just never went 100% away. We would use Natures Miracle and Folex (we buy it at Lowes), then wash with hot water in the cleaner. It worked good enough...

Word of warning, though....after our cat died, we tore up the carpet. Again, our cat was sick like this for months. But the sub flooring was stained and even smelled a bit, so we had to have that taken care of before putting down new carpeting.
    Our dog had a round of diarrhea this past week and we did the same thing....Folex followed by hot water in the carpet cleaner and it worked well.

Sorry your kitty is sick. It's no fun Fortunately there are meds they can give, and they do work!
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

professional cleaner.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast