Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default If you converted your crib to a full bed....

Did you use a full sized mattress AND box spring?

We are getting ready to convert and the box spring is "optional" according to our crib manufacturer. I am not a huge fan of the crib-to-bed look, so I am thinking about getting the full box spring (as opposed to a low profle or no box spring) to boost the mattress up.

Any thoughts?
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have converted two cribs. Neither one has a box spring. We tried using a box spring with the second one and the mattress ended up being incredibly high, so we added more supporting boards to the frame and just use the mattress. I actually complained to the manufacturer because they specified using a box spring in the instructions and no kid would have been able to climb into that matttress! It was ridiculously high! It would have been plain dangerous IMO.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We converted DDs to a full sized bed and are using a mattress and boxspring. I guess it never occured to us not to. Her bed is pretty high but not ridiculously so....
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We only used the mattress. Our frame has wooden slats across the bottom. I should probably look at the instructions and see what it says about a box spring.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Another one who did not use the box spring because it made the bed ridiculously high. Our manual didn't specify one way or the other. It has plenty of wood slats to support the mattress.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I have converted two cribs. Neither one has a box spring. We tried using a box spring with the second one and the mattress ended up being incredibly high, so we added more supporting boards to the frame and just use the mattress. I actually complained to the manufacturer because they specified using a box spring in the instructions and no kid would have been able to climb into that matttress! It was ridiculously high! It would have been plain dangerous IMO.
    The mattress height with the boxspring was up past my waist when standing (I'm 5'6). It was absolutely ridiculous. So we returned the boxspring and just use the mattress.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We just converted DD1's crib/toddler bed to a full size bed. We started with the box spring/mattress combo but it was waaaaayyy too high!! 25'' of mattress/box spring sitting on top of the bed frame! Even with safety rails it didn't seem safe for when DD1 has to get out of bed to pee at night......plus I had a hard time finding something tall enough in the house to use as a stool!

So we took the box spring off and it's the perfect height....she doesn't need safety rails and can in and out of bed easily with out a stool. I figure we can buy a box spring later on when she's older and wants a taller bed.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10