Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Play yard--I borrowed on the rare occasikn we were going someplace overnight and otherwise never used one so we never bought. If you need one, I'd go bare bones.

High chair--Tripp Trapp

Stroller--definitely visit the stroller forum and give some details about how you will use it. I loved my Bumbleride indie and think it is a great choice if you want to walk outdoors a lot.

Baby carrier--loved, loved, loved my pikkolo and my freehand mei tai. Ergo is great too but I couldn't get ours to work until dd was six or seven months old.

Crib mattress--very happy with our IKEA crib and mattress. It was the most expensive IKEA mattress at the time, but that was still cheap compared to other crib mattresses. Dd turns three this week and the IKEA crib and mattress are going strong.

Diaper bag--really depends on how much you pack and what your tastes are. I think skip hops are a good price point for quality and most people seem happy with them.

Congratulations!
    Catherine

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

*Play yard--Graco Pack N Play, although if you have the space, the Chicco one is really nice.
    *Highchair--We have a traditional wooden Hugh chair my parents gave us. If I were to do it over again I would get a Svan, although I have multiple friends who had the classic Fisher Price chair or the Peg Perego Primo Pappa Chair and were happy. We also had the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster. We also have a Tripp Trapp, which I bought for my older DD1 when she was 3, and used it from 18 mos. plus with DD2, I personally think it is way too messy for use with a less than 18 mos. old.
    *Stroller (everyday use and for exercise)--Bob Revolution, and a Maclaren a triumph, Techno, or Quest.
    *Baby Carrier--I had a Bjorn with DD1 with DD1 and I used it a bit when I was on maternity leave with her, but then forgot about it. I ended up getting a Beco carrier when she was about 18 months and used it a lot more than I ever did the Bjorn. This is such a personal choice. I couldn't handle tying a Moby, and I felt that the Ergo was too uncomfortable.
    *Crib Mattress--we had a basic Kolcraft, it was about $100. Lasted through two kids 4 yrs. apart.
    *Video Monitor--didn't have one; we didn't have a basic monitor either. I never saw the need. We have a small house.
    *Diaper Bag--I had a very manly Eddie Bauer diaper bagwith DD1, and then splurged on a JuJuBe Be Spicy with DD2. I liked them both, but if you are concearned about weight then go with the Eddie Bauer. There are a few more JuJuBe models out there though now to choose from, and the JJB is really easy to clean and the patterns are really cute. I will warn you JJB bags can create an obsession.
    *Any other must haves you can help me with --
    Fisher Price Rock N Play sleeper
    long sleeve onesies for a baby born in spring (buy them at Target so if you don't use them you have 90 days to return them)
    Carters layette--my kids lived in sleep n play outfits and onesies.
    Playtex Drop Ins bottles ESP. if your baby has reflux
    A nice nursing cover, I had a Babe Au Lait with DD2 and I loved it. Had I had one with DD1 I think I would have nursed in public more.
    Miracle Blanket Swaddler
    Aden & Anais Swaddler (I found the large ones on sale at Amazon)
    Terry cloth over the head bibs, and the Bumkins bibs.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 04-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Carrier ... I like wrap carriers like Moby, Wrapsody Hybrid Stretch, or any number of wovens (I had an EllaRoo, but plan to upgrade to a Stochenweige or Didymos for a 2nd baby, should we have one) for the early stages. Yes, they have a learning curve, but once you figure them out, they're incredibly versatile. Wovens will have a longer lifespan than a stretchy wrap like Moby, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Once baby hits about 4 or 5 months, I like the Ergo because their infant insert is ridiculously bulky. (Skip it.)

We've only stopped using the Ergo recently ... in favor of a KinderPack Toddler carrier. (My daughter is 3 yrs old & 33 lbs.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My one must have would be the Arm's Reach crib. I would go for the Universal Crib which lasts until they are 1.5 yrs old and then just go to a toddler bed from there. Loved Arm's Reach for both kids. I was also on bedrest the last trimester. It really helped me out a lot. Everything else was nice but that was essential esp. b/c I still had mobility issues after giving birth.

You've gotten some great suggestions, just wanted to give my two cents on things I've become passionate about!

*Play yard
    I'd HIGHLY recommend the new Lotus crib from Guava Family. Please see my thread on the Bargains forum. It's a bazillion times easier to use than a regular pack n play. I will never use a regular pack n play again.

*Stroller (everyday use and for exercise)
    If you can swing it I would get a reversible stroller. I have an Uppababy Cruz and we used the reversible function almost exclusively for about the first year and about 50% of the time now. There are several other great reversible options now too, the Baby Jogger Versa seem pretty highly recommended. However if you plan to jog once baby is an appropriate age you'll need a jogging stroller, so if you can only get one I think I would go for the Baby Jogger Summit X3. I think it would work pretty well for a newborn with a snuzzler of some sort.

*Baby Carrier
    Loved my Ergo. Used it with DD until she was 16 months and I got pregnant again. If I wasn't pregnant I'm sure we could still use it.

*Video Monitor
    LOVE my Angelcare three in one video/motion/sound monitor. I still turn on the motion sensor even though DD is 18 months old. It's probably not the clearest video feed but it is more than adequate. I love that it has a timer--I start it at the beginning of her naps so I always know exactly how long she's been sleeping. I also love that I can set it to pick up all sounds, or turn on the 'mike' so it will only pick up sound differentials. At night I use the mike and it only goes off when she cries, in the morning I turn it off because she wakes up talking softly and the 'mike' won't pick that up, but when I turn it off it will.

*Diaper Bag
    After years of carrying boring cheap purses I've turned into a diaper bag fashionista. I love my Petunia Pickle Bottom Sashay Satchel. I used a boxy backpack until a few months ago and decided I wanted something more purselike. This is a very personal decision so you'll have to decide if you want purse vs. diaper bag, and practicality vs. fashion. JuJuBe has great functional bags but I didn't personally like any of the prints.

Congrats on being a new Mommy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2