Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default CD with popular kid music?

I don't typically listen to music these days. And, if I do, it's a CD and old . But, DS1 would like music for his birthday. Something that kids are listening to, but I really have no clue! Any recs? He'll be 9.
    Kris

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How about the new Justin Timberlake CD? I don't know of it's 9 yr old appropriate but it gets great reviews.

for Sandy Hook

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD loves anything Taylor Swift. Like you, we're old fashioned and buy CDs.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd do a KidzBop, which is cleaned up versions of popular songs, sung by kids. That way you don't have to worry about questionable lyrics. (Although I admit we do a mix of KidzBop and regular radio versions of songs around here.)
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think 9yo is too old for something like KidzBop. Kids know the real stuff. They hear it out in the world, even if parents don't play it. I know ds1's bus driver plays the pop station on the bus, for example.

My suggestion is to go to iTunes, see what the top songs are, look for the clean version (only shows up if the original is explicit), put together a playlist and burn it to a cd. You'll get good variety and say about what goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think 9yo is too old for something like KidzBop. Kids know the real stuff. They hear it out in the world, even if parents don't play it. I know ds1's bus driver plays the pop station on the bus, for example.
    My kids like both, KB and the real thing (thanks to me, never mind the world. ).

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    My kids like both, KB and the real thing (thanks to me, never mind the world. ).
    That's good. I guess I was just basing it on my 10yo and his friends. Of course, I have a bias against KidzBop or other popular music sung by kids...like nails on a chalkboard. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Of course, I have a bias against KidzBop or other popular music sung by kids...like nails on a chalkboard.
    Oh I hear ya on that! Sometimes I need a palate cleanser and insist on hard rock. I made them listen to Rage Against thee Machine's "Renegades of Funk" (clean) the other day. They loved it and were rocking out!!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My guess is that he has no idea what he wants, but thinks it's a good idea. He's not very social and is kind of in his own world. DD sings songs she hears, but he never does or mentions them. So, I'm not sure where he would have heard them.

So, I went to iTunes (for the very first time) and went to charts and then songs. Is the order they are in ranked for popularity? I've never heard any of these songs before.
    Kris

Yes, popularity. If you click on the chart, it'll give you like the top 100 songs...head to the bottom of the list for songs you are all more likely to know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast