Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Pros and cons of balance bikes ??

The 'balance bike success' thread reminded me that I should start collecting info about balance bikes. I'd love to hear what has worked and what hasn't, favorite brands/models, any other tips that I don't know enough to ask.

When almost-9-y.o. DGD1 was that age, I don't remember balance bikes. She started with a tricycle, first with an adult push-handle, then eventually moved on to regular bike with training wheels before riding independently. DGD2 will be 2 this summer but is still quite small for her age (around 30" tall at recent check). When I visit next, I'll find out whether she's using the smaller wheely bug that I got her a while ago (too soon!). I figure I've got some time to research balance bikes and search for deals.

All info welcome!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

THey've worked really, really well for my family. DH is a cyclist and brushed it off years ago when I first mentioned them. THen Mark Paul Gosselaar mentioned using them with his kids in a cycling mag (DH is a cyclist) and suddenly he was interested

The last two homes we've owned have been in very small subdivisions with a cul de sac and flat streets. I think it would be tougher to learn if you live in a hilly neighborhood or don't have a good area for riding regularly (since kids have to build up some speed over a bit of a distance in order to really glide). We had a rental in between those homes for a few months and it was also flat (no cul de sac) but not heavily trafficked. That's where DD transitioned to a pedal bike, but she was riding the BB while we were there as well.

My DS1 was always a more cautious kid; he got the BB for his 3rd bday. We bought a Puky from the gliderrider website, but that site had some customer service issues and so forth. There are a LOT more options now than there were back then. That site had videos up of kids riding, and you could see how they progress from walking to running on it, and then gliding on it. I think that helped him get it. WIth my subsequent kids, it was easy to teach them as the older kids could demonstrate it. My DD and DS2 were 2-2.5 when they were using the balance bike pretty well. They are less cautious and also had older sibling(s) to model how to use it.

My DS1 did have one pretty bad crash on it. Even a very small incline can have them building up a lot of speed. He was coasting down a very slight incline but going very fast. He tried to slow using his feet, and that made him sort of wobble/swerve and he crashed and had some good scrapes on him. It was stll worth it, but I'd just make sure you are aware that when they build up speed, they can be moving shockingly fast. It is easy for them to get a good bit ahead of you on a walk, etc. even as a 2-3 yo (yikes), so just be aware of that (and kids that age are not going to be attentive to cars backing out, etc.).

We also had two neighbors learn to ride using the BB. In both cases the kids had been on 2 wheelers with training wheels for months to years but hadn't transitioned beyond that. A few days of messing around on the balance bike taught two of the neighbor kids around their 5th bdays.

My kids all still used a trike to work on pedaling. At some point they were able to mesh the balance bike skills and the trike pedaling skills to move to a 2 wheeler with pedals.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we have loved them! both dd and ds1 used balance bikes from ages 2-4, then at 4 started to ride a 2wheel "pedal bike" but never needed training wheels.

we have a strider, which is smaller and a Kazam. i think the only down side is without brakes, if they get going too fast down hill they can crash pretty badly. this happened to dd once, she went over the handle bars. i plan to buy the optional brakes for the strider when ds2 gets the hang of it.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We love ours! We started putting both of my boys on it when they were around 19/20 months and they initially just walked with it between their legs. Progression to running and then balancing (feet up or out to the side) happened quickly and very naturally.

DS1 was able to balance/coast very steadily at around the 2yr 3months age, and after we saw that his balance was that good, we tried to see how a 2 wheeled bike would go, and to our surprise he took to it very quickly. He was riding his two wheel bike ( no training wheels) around the neighborhood with DH at 2yrs 4 months.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    We love ours! We started putting both of my boys on it when they were around 19/20 months and they initially just walked with it between their legs. Progression to running and then balancing (feet up or out to the side) happened quickly and very naturally.

DS1 was able to balance/coast very steadily at around the 2yr 3months age, and after we saw that his balance was that good, we tried to see how a 2 wheeled bike would go, and to our surprise he took to it very quickly. He was riding his two wheel bike ( no training wheels) around the neighborhood with DH at 2yrs 4 months.
    That's insane!

DD is petite for her age and people freaked out when they saw her riding a pedal bike at 3.5. DS2 just turned 3 and is riding a pedal bike now, but I am blown away by a 2y4m old kid riding! Amazing
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

mommyp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That is amazing! Makes me realize I should get ours out for DS this summer and let him start trying it. DD used it for about a year and a half and now has a pedal bike. We have a Strider (bought on sale from Amazon) and have been really happy with it.
    DD January 2008
    DS September 2011

We've had great experiences with ours too, though it is taller and heavier than the Strider, so DS (who is tall) couldn't stand flatfooted on it til he was 3.5. After that he got the hang of it very quickly though, and Dd1 used it for a couple weeks when she was 5 before transitioning very smoothly to a pedal bike.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

My DD is newly 5 and really has no interest in her strider - it always frustrates her. We don't have a great place to ride at home but when we go for a ride (paved trails, parking lots to specifically practice biking, playgrounds with paves areas, or in the flat area at the bottom of our driveway) she always wants to take her scooter (which she picked up easily).
    So pretty much a waste so far for us - Oh and we got it when she was 2.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS has a strider since he was almost 3, we love it and see no cons, honestly. He learned to ride a pedal bike without training wheels in one day at 4 yo. He still occasionally uses the Strider. I only wish we had gotten the Strider sooner.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My daughter had no interest at all. We actually bought two different models of balance bike, a toddler one when she was 2.5, a slightly bigger one the next summer. Both of them were just awkward for her. She never got faster than walking, and when you do that, it's no fun. Now at just-turned-5 she really loving her first regular two wheeler (with training wheels).
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast