Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What are your toddlers' and preschoolers' favorite things to play with inside?

I'm in a rut with the kids, and since most of their bigger toys are packed up (play kitchen, etc.) until we move at the end of the month, and the weather is not cooperating to play outside much, I'm looking for some ideas for new things to do with the kids, or just reminders of things we used to do together before I had to worry about keeping the house immaculate for showings.
    I'm trying to write it out on a calendar to stay motivated, and so far I've got

Magnatiles
    Painting
    Playing trains
    Play-doh
    Cutting and gluing
    Coloring (though DS isn't much into this at age 2)
    Dress up
    Musical instruments (marching band around the house, etc.)
    Pretend train ride, etc.
    Hiding & finding Easter eggs around the house
    Play pretend with doctor kit, etc.
    Play school with mini white boards
    Build towers with blocks

Other ideas? Unfortunately most of our better toys and games are packed up, but it's really hard for me to find things to do with both of the kids (2 and 4) that won't cause them to fight, and that the 2 year old will be interested in.

Thanks in advance!

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 2 and 4 year old really like to pack bags and play pretend "trip" together (usually they pretend they are going to places we have been- Disney world, the beach, zoo).

Matchbox cars are a big hit with both.

Art and crafts stuff like foam stickers, stamps, dotters will often interest both.

They also will spend a lot of time looking at books together - especially a big bag of books from the library.

Not sure how much room you have, but they both like to play games in our basement like red light green light, freeze dance/ dance party, or just tossing a ball or balloon around.

HTH! And hope you get good weather soon so you can mix it with some outside playtime!

Tea4two is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Mr. Potato Head
    Cash register
    Legos
    Floor puzzles
    ipad
    Candyland
    DS 1/2010
    And new addition DD 1/2013

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

dress up clothes
    play kitchen
    tea sets
    food trays (actually a lot of my cooking bowls and utensils keep disappearing)
    books
    Long ribbons (they keep canibalizing their twirly ribbons in order to wrap "bday presents" so they can play bday party.
    MY kitchen
    She also like to pack a bag or backpack with random stuff and "go on a trip."
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

My kids play with other toys WITH the magnatiles, usually cars or plastic animals.

And mine also like to pack stuff in suitcases and go on trips (it's a whole house game.) They also play "security" and empty their junk into a plastic bin and walk though a doorway, then repack their junk in the suitcase.

My kids are also highly entertained by water. They like to wash their toys in the sink or bathtub.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Another one who's DD (4) plays with toys together with her magnatiles- animals, cars, and people.

Our latest discovery is Perler beads- DD can sit quietly with them for close to an hour sometimes. Definitely not going to work for your 2 year old though.

Have you tried the Melissa and Doug sticker books with the reusable stickers? There are so many different ones and DD loves them.

My DD is very into arts n crafts in general- she spends time every day coloring, cutting, gluing, putting stickers, taping, etc.

She recently got "Don't Break the Ice" and likes it, but you would need to play and that excludes your 2 yr old.

Play doh is loved around here too (more by her than by me lol).

Good luck with your move!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

TxCat is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

FP Dollhouse
    sticker books (reusable and non-reusable)
    Coloring
    Bubbles
    Bathtub as the "pool" - I let DD get naked or in a bathing suit and splash around in our big tub in the master bath.
    Blocks/wee widgets
    "Cooking" - a plastic bowl, a box of oatmeal or rice or pasta, spoons, measuring cups, and a cheap bottle of some spice or herb (cinnamon works well)
    DD1 10/2010
    DD2 8/2013
    And expecting DS1 10/2016

Play tent and tunnel
    Trampoline
    Train set

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Stomp rockets! Also..you can set up a little bowling alley in a uncarpeted hallway of you have some empty toilet paper rolls (or the like) and a bouncy ball.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast