Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Is there a VRBO rental near you? A friend has her parents stay for 1 month and they rent a studio apartment through VRBO. Even if you MIL doesn't drive, I would be willing to go pick her up in the morning say 10am and drop her off after dinner...6pm. If it's close to places where she can walk, she can find things to occupy herself too.

1-2 months..heck no. And it sounded like you were TOLD she would be there for 1-2 months and not asked. Wouldn't fly in my house.

I LIKE my MIL and LOVE my mom, but I couldn't handle 13 days with either of them. I'm definitely re-thinking having the boys share a room when they get older so that Peanut's room can be a spare bedroom again...I think that kid deserves a room.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

I've been there. Up until a month ago, my ILs lived in Europe and would come here for 3-5 weeks at a time. It felt like I had PMS 24 hours a day the entire time there where here. I usually drank lots of wine, but that didn't even cut it by the end.

No advice other than go along with YOUR everyday life and don't feel guilty. I felt much better when I just did my own thing.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

[QUOTE=georgiegirl
    No advice other than go along with YOUR everyday life and don't feel guilty. I felt much better when I just did my own thing.[/QUOTE]

Totally this. In-laws stay up till 1am or so everyday. DD3 gets up with the sun at full speed. She screams, bangs things, runs around. They know what time she gets up so I don't worry one bit if she is being too loud or waking them up. If she does, they can go to bed earlier.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Bonus: DH told me that this is a "short visit" and in the future visits will be 1-2 MONTHS.
    This icon would be me at just the thought of that!

I'm so sorry...
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Mopey is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Lots of sympathy to you OP!!! And I agree with all the PP's ideas.

But elizabethkott wins for "crapsnacks"!!!!! My new fave word (plus you sound a lot like one of my fave friends )
    Mom to Miss Mopey! 3/12 & Baby Boy GoGo! 7/15

"Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KLD313 View Post
    This is why I don't have guest rooms!
    I know it sounds kind of evil, but if we move, I told DH I don't think we should have a designated guest room, just for this very reason. I don't want either sets of parents staying at our place, even a wknd visit would throw me over the edge. Why make it too comfortable and convenient for ppl to just visit for extended overnight stays, you know?
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Quote Originally Posted by queenmama View Post
    I would commit matricide
    This. OP, big to you!

In all seriousness, it'll be very hard, but you can do it. Try to look at the bright side of things. She could live next door from you and visit every single day. In a way, you're one lucky gal!

I just remind myself constantly to not take anything she says personally, just nod, smile, agree. She WILL leave very soon.

I also treat myself with a little prize (a box of chocolates, a new t-shirt) for "surviving" 3 days with her, 7 days, 10 days. It adds an element of fun into a gloomy situation.

You can do it! And I'm very sorry...
    DD February 2010
    DS January 2012

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kira's Mommy View Post
    I also treat myself with a little prize (a box of chocolates, a new t-shirt) for "surviving" 3 days with her, 7 days, 10 days. It adds an element of fun into a gloomy situation.
    I really like this idea! I am going to try it.

And, I know it could be worse (it could be the month-long visit!). I am trying to keep my chin up. I will certainly have lots of stories to share.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What are their skills . . . Can they sew, make new curtains, can they paint, pick a room, can they rake, this is a good time of year for yard clean up. Can they fetch, send them into the yard with the kids while you "clean the bathtub for 2 hours".
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast