Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I do the clear shoebox method, but I hate it, because it's just not how creation works. Different boxes with paint, glue, scissors, ribbon....most projects need a mix of things. So it all comes out every time, gets scattered, then big cleanup (for ME).

I am loving hillview's $60 Container Store bin, may have to pick one of those up today!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Each kid has a multi-purpose bin from the Container Store with their workbooks, coloring books, etc in it. Another couple bins hold construction paper, drawing paper, etc. I have sterilite boxes for crayons, markers, paint, play doh. And scissors and glue just sit in plastic round containers on the counter. Most of the supplies are in a lower kitchen cabinet that opens not into the kitchen, but into the family room.
    Kris

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    we got this based on a bbb recommendation. It holds a lot and keeps paper flat. http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...b-97c3b8d21e99

I also have a drawer in the kitchen for markers, crayons, scissors, tape and colored pencils and some coloring books (easy access as we use that stuff a lot).
    I have that cart for other things. It's also at JoAnn's. It looks to be the same: http://www.joann.com/iris-scrapbooking-cart/xprd74098/
    Kris

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have one of these, from Target, http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=187&section=1

with one of these on top (we have an older model, but basically the same thing):

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=187&section=1

They both sit in DD's playroom closet.

On her table, where she does artwork, she has one of these that I got at the PB outlet for under $10. Inside the large center compartment, she has cups with all of her colored pencils, pens, pencils, a ruler, markers, small stencils, etc. In the pockets around the outside, she has different scissors with patterned cutting edges, and the like. I like the handles because she can carry it around the house if she wants to do artwork downstairs instead of in her playroom.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/dorm-...acet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Subscribing!!! Art is the one thing DDs will do consistently every day. We need a storage solution! They have a downstairs playroom with IKEA Mammut table and chairs (their art table) and enough space for a shelving system along one wall so that's what I'm thinking...something that will be useful for years to come.

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have a Sterilite drawer set like PP linked to. The big bottom bin is deep enough to even hold some things like clip boards, paper packs, etc up on their sides. We also have a few Sterilite containers with lids and each DD has their own to hold their own coloring books, stickers, etc that are gifted to them (so they know what belongs to which kid and aren't forced to share say a birthday gift). But the drawers are communal. The top narrow drawer has a few organizer baskets one for each: pencils, scissors, tape, rulers. We also bought this to hold markers and crayons and leave it out on their play table as it was just getting to be a pain to clean up and put away makers and crayons when they get used daily.
    http://www.amazon.com/Romanoff-Small...ords=art+caddy
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I just got this thing from Amazon - we have paper in the bottom several drawers, one for stickers and the top couple for markers, crayons, glue etc.... It's only $35!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I have a large rolling art bin I got from The Container Store on a sale. You can make it as big or small as you want, but the larger size fit a space we had for it nicely. It has since moved to the front room (aka formal-dining-room-turned-arts/crafts-room). You can see pictures of it in post #15. Love it. Love that it's on wheels and I can roll it around my house if need be (sometimes we do arts and crafts at the kitchen table if the girl scout troop is over). Love that it's big enough to fit construction paper. The girls know where everything is, and it's super handy.

The Container Store also has several other types of carts that would work well for art bins, depending on your space.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=454728
    lhafer, your thread in Clean Sweep forum with the art supplies is the first thing that came to mind when i thought of art supply organization..i remember seeing that and thinking, wow, i am so getting one of these!! is it Elfa?? i like it a bit more than the rolling plastic ones, which seem to overpriced IMO. i know elfa is pricey but i love how sturdy it looks and how you can custom design it.

it's timely thread as we have so many crayons, markers, playdoh, paints, as ds loves art...yesterday his teacher asked me if i did lots of arts & crafts with him at home, as he was so interested and always likes to sit right next to the teacher when she does the art activities.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Lots of great ideas here!

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    lhafer, your thread in Clean Sweep forum with the art supplies is the first thing that came to mind when i thought of art supply organization..i remember seeing that and thinking, wow, i am so getting one of these!! is it Elfa?? i like it a bit more than the rolling plastic ones, which seem to overpriced IMO. i know elfa is pricey but i love how sturdy it looks and how you can custom design it.

it's timely thread as we have so many crayons, markers, playdoh, paints, as ds loves art...yesterday his teacher asked me if i did lots of arts & crafts with him at home, as he was so interested and always likes to sit right next to the teacher when she does the art activities.
    Yes it is Elfa, and I can't tell you how much I love it! You can get shorter ones, more narrow ones, etc. You can get different sized drawers to fit your needs. Ours has 3 shallower drawers and 2 deep drawers. You can also get a table top for the top of it if you need it to become the table to do the arts and crafts on as well. I didn't want that, so didn't opt for it. Instead I got a plastic sectioned tray (actually 2 of them) for the top, for the crayons, markers, glue sticks, etc. I wanted wheels so I could roll it around to various areas when needed. I have 2 more of these (though much smaller) without wheels that I keep in my pantry as well (they are white in post #2 in the link I provided earlier). They hold snack pouches, and the deep drawer is perfect for holding about 8 rolls of paper towels.

In the picture that shows the Girl Scout stuff - I have a plastic sterilite 3 drawer bin where I keep the GS art supplies. It works okay, but it's a real PITA to move, the drawers don't slide in and out nicely, and I always feel like it's going to fall apart.

I figured, that this art bin is something that is used in our house every.single.day by both kids (ages 7 and 3). They know where it is, what goes where, they can easily get to the crayons/markers/etc by themselves, and I don't have to worry about it breaking or falling apart. So the extra cost was worth it to me. I've had it going on 3 years now of daily use and abuse, and it looks and works just like the day we bought it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast