Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need trike recommendation for tiny toddler

After reading all the helpful info in response to my other query about balance bikes and consulting with DIL, I'm now on the hunt for a trike (and of course, a deal!).

Here's what we're looking for:
    1. MUST be adjustable (seat, handlebars, maybe pedal height) because DGD2 is only 31" tall at 20 months.
    2. Handle for parents
    3. Sturdy construction since she'll hopefully be able to use it for several years.

DIL just missed out on a used Kettler that met all these criteria -- I'm sure the first person through the door at the consignment sale snapped it up!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would get one of the smaller, lighter Kettler designs, like the green trike or the Junior. (There's a girlie version of the Junior, but I can't remember the name.) They are also the most inexpensive Kettlers, so it's a win win! I would recommend getting a pushbar for a 20 month old, for sure. We got ours on CL.

for Sandy Hook

Any other recommendations? Any tips on finding deals on the rather-pricey Kettlers? (Looks like CL in my family's area doesn't have much...)

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure if the handlebars are adjustable on the Oceana, but the seat definitely is and it has a parent bar.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Schwinn Easy Steer trike and have no complaints.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Easy-S...5702724&sr=1-1

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I believe the Kettler Green Trike is smaller than the Junior, but it might still be too big for your DGD. DD was about that size when she got the Green Trike a year ago, and we still had to build up the pedals by nearly an inch.

I do wish it had a pushbar though. I didn't think we'd want one, but in hindsight it would have been helpful.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    I believe the Kettler Green Trike is smaller than the Junior, but it might still be too big for your DGD. DD was about that size when she got the Green Trike a year ago, and we still had to build up the pedals by nearly an inch.

I do wish it had a pushbar though. I didn't think we'd want one, but in hindsight it would have been helpful.
    I noticed on the Amazon listing that they do sell a separate push bar for the Green Trike.

About size: does the Green Trike have various adjustments (seat and handlebar height, etc)? I couldn't tell for sure from the description. If it does have adjustments and was still too big at first for your DD, that's really good to know.

Some of the pricier Kettlers advertise 4 or 5 position adjustability. Sounds like I may have to spend some time on the Kettler website to see if they have more details re: sizes, adjustments, etc.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    I noticed on the Amazon listing that they do sell a separate push bar for the Green Trike.

About size: does the Green Trike have various adjustments (seat and handlebar height, etc)? I couldn't tell for sure from the description. If it does have adjustments and was still too big at first for your DD, that's really good to know.

Some of the pricier Kettlers advertise 4 or 5 position adjustability. Sounds like I may have to spend some time on the Kettler website to see if they have more details re: sizes, adjustments, etc.
    The Kettler Green trikes that we have have a 3 position adjustability for the seat only (which basically moves the seat forward and back). But - I feel like it would work for her even if she's tiny. We got these for our girls when they were pretty tiny and they could reach the pedals. Now, actually WANTING to put forth the effort to try...that's a whole 'nother story

I think they're a great value for the price - they are definitely a smaller scale trike, sturdy construction. And even if she had to grow into it, she'd grow into this one faster than she would a larger trike. It's also lightweight and it sort of folds so if you needed to store it on a hook on the garage wall it wouldn't take up that much space.

This reminds me that I need to list ours on CL!

Based on the specs at the Kettler site, it looks like the Green is their smallest model. Anyone have any experience with the Kiddi-o Fold N Go Nanas? Kiddi-o seems to be made by Kettler, and this model looks very similar to the Green.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Based on the specs at the Kettler site, it looks like the Green is their smallest model. Anyone have any experience with the Kiddi-o Fold N Go Nanas? Kiddi-o seems to be made by Kettler, and this model looks very similar to the Green.
    Kiddi-o is the name for a style of Kettler trikes (like a Civic is a Honda). I'm trying to remember what my mom said last year after the called Kettler when we were having the same discussion. I think she said Kettler is no longer making the Go Green trike (TRU must still have stock), it is being replaced by the Go-Nanas, which is the same trike but a different color. To be honest, I never did figure out how to fold it, but I didn't try very hard. It's not that big to begin with.

Here's the info my mom received from Kettler CS:
    ...measure her hip to heel ratio this evening. Have her sit on the floor, bend her knee a bit and then measure from hip to heel. If it is between 14 and 16.5", then the bike will work for her.
    (FYI, you will be measuring the distance between the hip and the heel essentially flat along the floot, not along the leg-bend at the right ankle-along the thigh, if that makes sense.)

I think DD's measurement was 13.5" at the time. So it was a bit hard for her to reach the pedals. It's a great size for her this year, but I have not remeasured her hip to heel ratio. I can try to do that this weekend if I can get her to sit still.

We're happy with the trike. I did a lot of research and I couldn't find a smaller trike that didn't look/feel cheaply made. I would have loved to get a metal Radio Flyer for DD but those were way too big.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast