Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I gained 45 pounds with each pregnancy and my OB was not concerned about it at all since I have a normal BMI plus no issues during pregnancy (high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, etc). I knw some obs are real sticklers on weight gain. I gained about 10-12 pounds in the first trimester (I know a lot!), around 15 pounds in the second trimester, and the rest in the 3rd trimester.
    Last edited by lchang25000; 04-13-2013 at 07:35 AM.
    DS1-1/09
    DS2-10/12

I really tried to pace myself. I gained 1.5 solid pounds in the first trimester, then 13.5 in the second. My total gain was 15 lbs up until 30 weeks, actually, and then in the last 4 weeks I actually gained my total of 27 lbs. Baby really puts on weight at the end! Plus, you'll feel bloated and fluid-y.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm 5'4" and went from 120 lbs to 196 lbs. I don't recommend that. I'm 135 now (she's 2.5 haha), but I'm not sure I'll ever be the same.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Gained about 18 lbs total with each kid (lost ~ 5 lbs in the first trimester, then regained that + ~ 18 lbs, so real gain of ~ 23 lbs). With DC1 I saw a dietitian to help with weight gain, but it didn't really help. My sister kept threatening me that the baby would be tiny, but my dr was not concerned (he did order a couple of extra ultrasounds, though). Babies were fine (almost 9 lbs each).

BTW, in general in Europe the recommended weight gain is actually lower than here, around 20 lbs.

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

With DD, I lost 10lbs in my trimester and then gained 25lbs. I am neither small nor big. I think I weighed 185 or so at the end of my first pregnancy. With this pregnancy, I have lost approximately 5-7 lbs so far and I am 17 weeks. My doctor says that is fine until 20 weeks. When not pregnant, I have a tendency to eat too much. While pregnant, my appetite and ability to eat and not feel ill goes way down. I essentially start to eat normal women portions.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I gained 30 lbs with each kiddo < X4> Seemed like the 5th month I always gained the most ( like 10lbs!)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I gained 23 lb w/DS and 28 w/DD and was normal BMI to start. W/DS I lost 5 lb in the 1st tri, so I actually also gained 28 lb with him. For both kids, I gained ALL my weight in the second trimester, and most of it in the last eight weeks of that. So, there were a couple of monthly visits to the OB where I had really huge weight gain. But obviously, my overall weight gain was fine. My OB is an experienced MFM, and nobody in his office ever said boo about my weight checks.
    Last edited by pb&j; 06-05-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    I'm 5'4" and went from 120 lbs to 196 lbs. I don't recommend that. I'm 135 now (she's 2.5 haha), but I'm not sure I'll ever be the same.
    Kind of envious there that you were able to lose all 61lbs. I am 5'6" and 196 (thankfully my weight is pretty concealable so I am not too obese looking) and I would love to weigh 135 like I did in college, but it hasn't been in the cards for me since I was 22 and took some awful birth control that made me gain 20lbs in 3 months and I haven't weighed less than 150 since. My DD2 is 3 so losing all of the weight by the time your DD is 2/1/2 is a great accomplishment. Thankfully I did lose all but the last 5lbs with DD1, I gained 25 with baby 2 (plus I think I gained another 10 or so when we were TTC baby 2, which took 6 mos.), and only lost 10 of that before getting pregnant with DD2 and then thankfully lost everything I gained with DD2, but now I still have a long way to go to get back to that PP weight I was when I had DD1.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-06-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i gained 30 lbs with my first pregnancy..nothing in first 18 weeks due to morning sickness. 2nd trimester i finally started gaining. i could not eat much in 3rd trimester bc of the heartburn.

with my 2nd pregnancy, i only gained 20 lbs...after ds was born i never lost the 20 lbs pregnancy weight (my ds was 6 mos old when i got pregnant again!) so i started off at a higher weight. also DD was born at 34/35 weeks. She was 6 lbs though!

despite not gaining much and EBFing both times, i had a HARD time losing the pregnancy weight. my DD was 2yo before i lost it all. nothing more maddening than seeing those pregnant mamas happily stuffing their faces full, gaining 60,70 lbs and then, 3mos after thier baby is born they're all wearing their pre-preg jeans. So not fair. So personally i would not be concerned about pregnancy weight gain that much..

I suppose the upshot for not gaining much weight in pregnancy (again, not done on purpose - lots of puking + wicked heartburn will do that to you) is that i did not get any stretch marks, and now my stomach looks about the same as it did before i had kids.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2