Thread: "Wonder"

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default "Wonder"

While adding many books to my cart for Dd1 I ran across this one and thought I'd share. It's a book about kindness, empathy, compassion and acceptance. Looks awesome.
    http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-R-J-Pal...ref=zg_bs_4_18

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A friend of mine read this for her book group and said it was incredible. It's on my list.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm going to download it today then. Thanks!

Oh my goodness, I have to thank you for this book recommendation! It was an absolutely incredible read. I borrowed the ebook from the library, but I think I'll buy it both because I'd like to re-read it and I think it would be a wonderful thing for DD1 to read before heading off to 4th grade (our beginning of "middle school").

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend. One of the most moving and beautiful books I've read in a long while. I read it last summer, and so did two of my kids ~ one a rising 3rd grader (boy) and the other a rising 6th grader (girl) at the time. Both couldn't put it down.
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, sounds great, going to check it out
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

kcimato is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, this is a very good read. I loved it too.

I will also recommend The One and Only Ivan which just won the Newberry Award.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just finishrd reading Wonder today and was going to come to post a Thank You to OP for the recommendation! What a great book. Punkin is also reading out and he really likes it too (he's in 3 rd grade) but I am nervous about some of the questions he might ask me... (shmuck , "big" vs "flat", a few other things that might be more socially "mature" than my young-but'-advanced-reader kid). Overall though a wonderful book. Reminds me of the movies "Lucas" and "Mask" from the 80's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I just finishrd reading Wonder today and was going to come to post a Thank You to OP for the recommendation! What a great book. Punkin is also reading out and he really likes it too (he's in 3 rd grade) but I am nervous about some of the questions he might ask me... (shmuck , "big" vs "flat", a few other things that might be more socially "mature" than my young-but'-advanced-reader kid). Overall though a wonderful book. Reminds me of the movies "Lucas" and "Mask" from the 80's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    If it helps, I think my young-but-advanced readers tend to just gloss over anything they are not ready for. I didn't find anything objectionable in the book, BTW. As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, one of my DSs, 8 years at the time and a rising 3rd grader, read the book last summer and was mesmerized by it. He didn't bring up any of the things you mention, but was happy to talk about the broader themes of the book ~ exactly the kinds of things you hope your children will take away from it. He turned out to love it as much as I did!
    “The difference between perseverance and obstinacy is that one often comes from a strong will,
    and the other from a strong won’t.” Henry Ward Beecher

Worry is like a rocking chair ~ it keeps you busy but it doesn't get you anywhere.

for Sandy Hook Elementary School