Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Gotz
    Karito-I've seen these in person before at a small toy store, but have no experience with owning one. Their body is shaped a bit differently so I assume could wear AG clothes but not certain, and fit might be a bit different. http://karitokids.com/start.php

I saw the Karito before we got into AG, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

Many craft shows, etc. have people selling affordable 18 inch doll clothes. And of course etsy, etc. sell patterns and actual clothes.
    Last edited by brittone2; 04-17-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Ellies mom, the Adora dolls (girls) are cute, but the baby/toddler ones are so lifelike they scare me a little!

And a little S/O, but does anyone make their doll's clothes? Are there actually patterns out there for 18 inch dolls? I've already cannibalized one toddler dress, and can't expect to get lucky like that again.
    I think the Adora dolls are pretty creepy in general, not sure what it is about them. They have a lot of diversity though, which I appreciate. I looked at them when we needed to replace our Corolle Calin (apparently they discontinued the "multicultural" doll). I ended up just paying way too much to get one of the last ones I could find. I do like the Kariko Kid dolls.

As far as making clothes, Liberty Jane has a ton of great patterns. Bunny Bear has a lot of historical patterns. There are a lot of patterns out there. I've made several of the Liberty Jane patterns. There is another pattern maker that I like but I can't remember the name. You can also get some really cute knitting patterns. I love to make clothes for the girl's dolls. It is fun to make doll clothes out of the scraps from clothes I've made the girls.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Has anyone see these?? They are so cute! Saw Consuela at the Target

www.hearts4heartsgirls.com/products/#

They are only 14 inches though, and vinyl throughout. But I love their eyes, and their outfits!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    I do like the Kariko Kid dolls.

Do you mean Karito Kids? I tried to click on a link on their site but Firefox keeps saying it's an untrusted connection. Arrgh.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do you mean Karito Kids? I tried to click on a link on their site but Firefox keeps saying it's an untrusted connection. Arrgh.
    They are a more contemporary doll; they come with books I believe, and each one is from a different country. http://www.oprah.com/gift/Karito-Kids-dolls

Not sure how available they are at this point.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

We have 2 our generation dolls, 1 Madame Alexander, and 1 American girl doll. The AG doll has by far the most brushable hair. The others turned into a tangled mess. I actually gave one of the our generation dolls "cornrows" before her hair got tangled. (Not really cornrows, but I braided it into many small braids. So she still looks decent and pretty cute.) The other 2 non-AG dolls have ratty hair.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I couldn't remember it off the top of my head.

I don't remember seeing them the last time we were at our local toy store. They aren't compatible with the 18" dolls so I wonder if that limits their popularity. If you go with a Karito Kid, Liberty Jane has a few patterns for them too.
    Last edited by ellies mom; 04-17-2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Personally, I don't feel like our OG doll's hair is very styleable, just because it "stretches" when it's being brushed. Straight out of the box, I had to brush her hair and trim the straggly ends that were stretched out. We have Phoebe, who is meant for hair styling--she even has hair that grows!--but we still keep it in a braid or it's terrible.
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lalasmama View Post
    Personally, I don't feel like our OG doll's hair is very styleable, just because it "stretches" when it's being brushed. Straight out of the box, I had to brush her hair and trim the straggly ends that were stretched out. We have Phoebe, who is meant for hair styling--she even has hair that grows!--but we still keep it in a braid or it's terrible.
    We have phoebe too. She's the one I gave corn rows. I can't even imagine now gross her hair would get if left down.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We have 2 our generation dolls, 1 Madame Alexander, and 1 American girl doll. The AG doll has by far the most brushable hair. The others turned into a tangled mess. I actually gave one of the our generation dolls "cornrows" before her hair got tangled. (Not really cornrows, but I braided it into many small braids. So she still looks decent and pretty cute.) The other 2 non-AG dolls have ratty hair.
    Wow, even the Madame Alexander doll? I guess this must be the most noticeable difference. The MA site did say never to wash the hair and only to use soft brushes or wide tooth combs, comb gently, etc. Not sure if that is worth the extra $$$ though.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast