boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Quilt v comforter

DD1 has a beautiful PBK quilt that I found at at a garage sale. I am considering buying dd2 one that coordinates with it since they will eventually share a room. But as I was searching through old posts, it looks like more people prefer comforters or duvets since they are easier to wash.

Since DDs will be sharing a room, I want hem bot to have the same type of bedding. Should I keep dd1's quilt and buy one for dd2 or should I get both of them comforters?

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I personally like quilts better and don't find them nearly as bulky as a comforter. I had a hard time washing DD1's new full size comforter in our washing machine. I wash our queen size quilt in it with no problems. A duvet would be just as easy to wash as a quilt because it's really just a double sheet.........

But I like quilts because I feel like you can use them throughout the year pretty easily.
    Last edited by newg; 04-20-2013 at 11:02 PM.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newg View Post
    I personally like quilts better and don't find them nearly as bulky as a comforter. I had a hard time washing DD1's new full size comforter in our washing machine. I wash our queen size quilt in it with no problems. A duvet would be just as easy to wash as a quilt because it's really just a double sheet.........

But I like quilts because I feel like you can use them throughout the year pretty easily.

Very true.

We went with a quilt because we live in a coastal environment where it doesn't get as cold as many in-land locales. We needed something we could leave on the bed year-round. PBK makes a WARM quilt, though. Often DD will ask to only sleep with the sheet. I'm debating getting a thin cotton blanket for her to use in the summer and roll back/fold the quilt at the foot of the bed. I don't like duvets b/c unless you get a down insert, the duvet usually looks baggy and wrinkles...and it's too hot here for a down comforter, even the lightest warmth ones. I know b/c we tried to get a duvet for our bed with an all-season down insert...it smokes us out unless we let the heat go down to 60 degrees at night...that'd be impossible for the summer!
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan