Thread: Tubby toys

Default Tubby toys

A dumb question. What exactly is the black schmutzy stuff that squirts out? Mildew? What do people do about it? Suck in some bleachy water and soak them? Toss the toys? Just accept that it's a natural skeevy part of bath toys?

I like to think I'm a fairly clean person but am at a loss!

We don't have any enclosed bath toys that can't be opened and cleaned (no squirters). It's probably mold, and it's pretty gross.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    We don't have any enclosed bath toys that can't be opened and cleaned (no squirters). It's probably mold, and it's pretty gross.
    They skeeve me out.

Quote Originally Posted by mikala View Post
    They skeeve me out.
    Its a bummer, because some of those are super-cute and DD really loved them, but the thought of what might be growing in there was more than I wanted to deal with. We had some in the beginning, but after a few baths I threw them out and never got any more. Along the way we collected a few rubber duckies, etc. I'd let DD play with them for a few baths & then...oops, they got lost!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine873 View Post
    Its a bummer, because some of those are super-cute and DD really loved them, but the thought of what might be growing in there was more than I wanted to deal with. We had some in the beginning, but after a few baths I threw them out and never got any more. Along the way we collected a few rubber duckies, etc. I'd let DD play with them for a few baths & then...oops, they got lost!
    That is our MO too! Only things I can toss in a sink of diluted bleach or the dishwasher get in the regular bath rotation :-) and I am not a germaphobe, but mildew and black goopy crud growing on bath toys? No thanks!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I toss ours pretty frequently because Dolly still drinks the bath water. No matter how much I intervene I can't tell you how many times I've caught her squirting water into her mouth. Ick. So yeah, those tend to go.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

we keep the super cute bathtub toys as regular toys, we don't use them in the tub, because, yes, they would get totally gross.

lec is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I put a dab of hot glue to close the hole and prevent that water from getting into the toy and growing mold. It prevents the toy from being a squirt toy but DDs are too little to know any different, especially since they've never had any that actually squirt.
    DD1 8/10
    DD2 10/12

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh, ew. Thanks, I think!