Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh, I get the whole wuss thing. My son is one for the books. If he gets a small bump, he is convinced he needs immediate medical attention. I was a total tomboy. His reactions drive me batty. My dad was an oncologist. If we were sick and didn't want to go to school, the standard response was "you don't have leukemia, get moving". DH is an ER doc. He knows what a real injury looks like. I love it when DH says to DS that the scrape is no big deal and DS will say "I want to go to a REAL doctor".

DD, on other hand, can be running down the street and do a face plant. Gets up, brushes herself off, and says "I'm just fine" or "No blood". She's been this way since she was tiny. If she actually cries, I give her attention. Then DS gets mad because I helped DD. um, DS you have the slightest, barely visible scrape. DD has blood coming off her scraped/scratched knee. No, you don't win. sigh.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm also in the no blood no foul camp. DS does get comforted but it's reasonable to the injury. In life you're going to get bumped and bruised, it's how you deal with it that's important. DS is pretty good at brushing himself off and keeps playing. In OPs, situation, DS would have apologized too, and I would have told him to keep an eye out so don't run into anyone again. The mother's reaction was way over the top.

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sste View Post
    ! His mom was giving us safety lectures and had her three year old son fully swaddled in her coat in her lap where she kept on rocking him. It went on for 20 painful minutes (snip)

Be sure to tell your DS what a great job he did apologizing and use it as an example of how grown ups make mistakes.
    Oh, my gosh, I am dying laughing, just as I would be if I'd witnessed that! He's never gonna get anywhere in life with her coddling him like that! I'm sure he'll have her in the principal's office in high school, saying it's not his fault he got a bad grade... Geez.

And yes, your DS is awesome. What a sweet little guy!

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Oh, I get the whole wuss thing. My son is one for the books. If he gets a small bump, he is convinced he needs immediate medical attention. I was a total tomboy. His reactions drive me batty. My dad was an oncologist. If we were sick and didn't want to go to school, the standard response was "you don't have leukemia, get moving". DH is an ER doc. He knows what a real injury looks like. I love it when DH says to DS that the scrape is no big deal and DS will say "I want to go to a REAL doctor".

DD, on other hand, can be running down the street and do a face plant. Gets up, brushes herself off, and says "I'm just fine" or "No blood". She's been this way since she was tiny. If she actually cries, I give her attention. Then DS gets mad because I helped DD. um, DS you have the slightest, barely visible scrape. DD has blood coming off her scraped/scratched knee. No, you don't win. sigh.....
    Your kids are both equally hysterical!!! hahaha! Love it.

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I have seen this issue with parents who only have girls. Some do act like girls are so fragile. Give me a break! DD is wayyyy tougher than her brother!!

LOL, DD2 is always running into her sisters, then insisting they have to watch out! Um, no, YOU have to watch out.

I only take them to playground areas for big kids now because they are just too fast and rough for the little kid areas.

I don't get being mad if your kid is obviously unhurt either. The only time I was pissed was when DD3 was 2 and got MOWED DOWN by a 7-8yo in one of those toddler areas at the mall. Otherwise, just get up and move on!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Wow! That is so rude. I have a girl (2yo) and I only get involved with something like that if a kid was purposefully aggressive towards her (pushes or hits her), and then really if she needs me to, since she is actually really good at saying "No thank you Do not push me" or whatever. Not to mention when I say "get involved", I just mean, make sure she's not being actually bullied, etc. Last time a kid pushed her, and it hurt her feelings and the kids dad was there making him apologize etc, so I just watched to see what she would do and to let her know it's ok. If kids are playing and accidentally bump each other, I don't get what the deal is. People can be wingnuts.
    Last edited by sunnyside; 04-23-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2