Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    One of the few nights of Ferberizing her again with DH at home (worked 2 months ago, but not anymore), DH came into her room and said "have you given her some Motrin?" and I was like "why?". He was convinced SOMETHING must be wrong with her and she surely was in pain, and I must confess I have resorted to giving her Tylenol or Motrin a few nights because she's crying so much and she's not hungry, her diaper is clean, etc. After an hour of crying and tossing and turning in her crib I figure she must be teething, coming down with something, etc. And DH keeps asking every single day if I called the Ped, but what do I tell him?

And here's another confession. On a few really bad nights when I was determined not to bring her back into my bed but was really desperate and dizzy from exhaustion, I climbed into her crib and laid down with her until she fell asleep, and of course I fell asleep, too. The first time I did that I was woken in the middle of the night by a frantic DH who had been looking for me all over the house, LOL, he was really freaked out because he couldn't find me.
    Oh, I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud!!!

Have you tried picking the baby up for a cuddle until she calms and gets sleepy and then putting her back down several times? This is the Baby Whisperer approach, I think. I have done this. Eventually she'll stay down while I shhh and pat her little back. I then stop patting, then remove my hand but stay at the crib, then run for the hills! She does start crying, but she's often so sleepy that it's only for a minute or two.

Having just suggested another approach, I'll contradict myself by saying that your little one might be confused by an inconsistent approach. I'd take a week to do whatever works without trying to fix the problem. Let your baby have a little break from any kind of sleep training. during this time, decide what you want to do, and then stick to your guns!!! I really think knowing what to expect is huge for all of us! I'm learning that lesson with DD. The Ferber timed checking works for her! Any extended comforting actually just extends the time she is awake. She really does much better if I come in, comfort for about two minutes and then leave!!! I have to set a timer, though. If I don't, I always think she's been crying forever when it's really only been three minutes!

DD2 had a rough spell with teething and was waking up at night. I asked our pedi about it and he took a look in her mouth and said her gums were very swollen and tender and suggested we give he a little bit of infant ibuprofen before bed for a couple of nights. Normally I don't give ibuprofen for teething pin but she was obviously miserabe so I did. We did it for 3 nights (at pedi's suggestion) and she caught up on her sleep and settled back into her old routine.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Here too, but we co-sleep. Whatever it takes to get sleep! I get more when I can just shove her on the boob and zzzzz. Right now it's two big front teeth. And she's trying desperately to walk. The big developmental leaps tend to screw up sleep, like around 4 mos too.

Any new foods? Maybe back off to what you know doesn't bother her?

Whack DH and tell him one of the wakings is his so you can get a chunk of sleep.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud!!!

Have you tried picking the baby up for a cuddle until she calms and gets sleepy and then putting her back down several times? This is the Baby Whisperer approach, I think. I have done this. Eventually she'll stay down while I shhh and pat her little back. I then stop patting, then remove my hand but stay at the crib, then run for the hills! She does start crying, but she's often so sleepy that it's only for a minute or two.

Having just suggested another approach, I'll contradict myself by saying that your little one might be confused by an inconsistent approach. I'd take a week to do whatever works without trying to fix the problem. Let your baby have a little break from any kind of sleep training. during this time, decide what you want to do, and then stick to your guns!!! I really think knowing what to expect is huge for all of us! I'm learning that lesson with DD. The Ferber timed checking works for her! Any extended comforting actually just extends the time she is awake. She really does much better if I come in, comfort for about two minutes and then leave!!! I have to set a timer, though. If I don't, I always think she's been crying forever when it's really only been three minutes!
    We (and by "we" I mean "I") did something similar to that aproach and then used Ferber progressive waiting (with shorter waits) once she was fine with being in the crib without me patting her back and all. It worked great, 2 months ago, and we were very consistent. But then she got 2 teeth, then she had a cold and I think she may be teething again. And now I tried the same approach again, and it's not working for night wakings, she fights sleep for and hour or more in the middle of the night and I tried to be consistent and stick to my guns for many nights, but I think something is going on (teeth, new milestone, IDK) and so I decided to do whatever works until she's ready again, hence the sleeping in the crib with her and then sneaking out, and now I just bring her to my bed, where we're both more comfortable.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2