Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crib questions

Default Crib questions

I am looking for a less expensive crib, and am considering one by Ikea.
    One of my cousins said that I should rethink that, because you have to put the crib together, and you don't want to have to worry about whether it was done right. Now, I've put together kit furniture before, including some from Ikea, but he said a crib is different.

That brings me to my questions:
    -If I order a crib online from another store, wouldn't it have to be assembled when it arrived?
    -If I got a crib from a local store, wouldn't it have to be assembled either when it arrived at our house, or in the store?
    -Do any cribs come assembled from the factory?
    -Since almost all cribs are made in China, isn't the quality of an Ikea crib similar to most others that aren't expensive?

If these questions make me sound naive or silly, so be it. I really am out of my comfort zone here , so feel free to give me any words of wisdom you think I need.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

We have an Ikea crib for DD2 and it's fine. DH set it up and it's sturdy with no issues. We didn't want to spend a lot and wanted something safe- it's a basic crib with no bells and whistles, so we didn't need an expert to put the thing together.

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I can't help with your other questions, but we've been extremely happy with our IKEA crib (Gulliver, FWIW), and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I thought it was very straightforward to assemble, and if you've been comfortable assembling other furniture, I wouldn't worry about that. I don't quite see how a crib is different from other kit furniture; honestly, assembling ours was easier than the stupid bookshelf we got at the same time.

Our family philosophy is to spend money on quality, but not necessarily on aesthetics, so we've chosen our kid stuff accordingly. Some kids are chewers, and will totally destroy a fancy crib. Our Gulliver crib has withstood two kids so far (well, our second is only 10 months, but it's still going strong) and I can't see how we would have had any functional benefit from a fancier one. However, if you like the way a more expensive one looks, then by all means go for it!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am pretty sure only the really high end cribs will be assembled for you as part of the price of the crib (ie, without a fee).

We have a Gulliver crib from ikea and love it, I like the look, clean and modern, and love the price! :-)

It is simple to put together, much more simple than other larger, more expensive cribs. For ds1, we used my sister's crib, and that thing was a bear to put together! but we followed directions, and never thought twice about self assembling.

Not to be paranoid, but even if someone else assembled (the delivery person, etc) how would you know they did it right? I feel much better putting it together myself.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Even the high end cribs do not come assembled. If you buy from a furniture store, you can pay for delivery and, often, assembly, but I would trust myself and my ability to care about putting the crib together far more than I would trust an overworked delivery guy!!!

That particular concern (the assembly) is not a reason to buy something else over Ikea. I don't feel confident about Ikea's quality, because I've had some pretty flimsy pieces of furniture from them in my college days! I believe the other posters who say their cribs have held up well, though. I would go for it.

Our Pali (older ds' crib) was assembled at our house after delivery for an extra fee. We moved and disassembled and reassembled it ourselves.

We have a Gulliver for dd and assembled it ourselves. It was not particularly difficult and I feel confident it is assembled correctly. You can arrange for someone to assemble an IKEA crib for you if you prefer, but I don't think it is worth the extra cost.

Catherine

abh5e8 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    Even the high end cribs do not come assembled. If you buy from a furniture store, you can pay for delivery and, often, assembly, but I would trust myself and my ability to care about putting the crib together far more than I would trust an overworked delivery guy!!!

That particular concern (the assembly) is not a reason to buy something else over Ikea. I don't feel confident about Ikea's quality, because I've had some pretty flimsy pieces of furniture from them in my college days! I believe the other posters who say their cribs have held up well, though. I would go for it.
    yes! all of that. we bought a munire crib and had to assemble it ourselves. (we could have paid the delivery people from the furniture store to do it, but like poster above, i'm not sure that would be any better). a full size crib is too big to fit through as standard doorway, so someone will have to assemble it in the room.

GoBlue is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

As an additional low cost crib option, defiinitely check out WalMart (yes, WalMart). We have a Baby Mod Modena in espresso for DD2. We also have a Munire Urban LifeTime crib for DD1 (used as a crib for 3 years, now in full-size bed mode). Truthfully, while the sentimental part of me thinks it's nice that Dd1 will use her crib indefinitely as a full size bed, the WalMart crib was only $200, was easy to assemble, and has a nice low profile and clean lines. Way less bulky and space-occupying than the Munire. Came with the toddler bed rail. I absolutely love it. I only wish I'd had the foresight to know they wouldn't be sharing a room for more than 2 months, since I would love to have it in the gray. The espresso is nice, but now ALL of my baby furniture is espresso. Not the end of the world.

I did look at Ikea, but they weren't making cribs when we needed DD2s crib (they had a safety issue a couple of years ago, and suspended crib sales for awhile). Plus, DH said he was happy to assemble anything that came with directions in English. I've been banned from buying anything at Ikea that requires assembly except more Expedit shelves (which he could assemble in his sleep) bc he says that their directions are often confusing.
    Mama to DD1 (3/2009....sassy and spirited) and DD2 (6/2011...sweet and determined). I love my happy little girls.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post

I did look at Ikea, but they weren't making cribs when we needed DD2s crib (they had a safety issue a couple of years ago, and suspended crib sales for awhile). Plus, DH said he was happy to assemble anything that came with directions in English. I've been banned from buying anything at Ikea that requires assembly except more Expedit shelves (which he could assemble in his sleep) bc he says that their directions are often confusing.
    FYI, in case it worries you, the safety issue was not an actual problem with IKEA cribs. The US government issued new safety regulations for cribs and all cribs sold in the US had to meet the new standards and go through testing to prove that they did. IKEA didn't get their testing done in time so they couldn't sell cribs for a short time period. As far as assembly of the crib goes, we found it pretty simple. We have a Gulliver. There was no swearing and it took less than an hour. I think you want two sets of hands though.

We are very happy with our IKEA crib.

Catherine

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We love our ikea crib. Assembly is super easy because they're are no movable parts. It's just four sides screwed together with the solid bottom inside attached.

Your brother may be thinking of back when cribs had drop sides and we're trickier to assemble.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast