ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What size bikes for 4.5 and 6.5 yr. old?

Now that its getting nice out, I'd like to find the girls some bikes to learn how to ride. Both are average for height and skinny. DD1 will be 7 in Sept., DD2 will be 5 in Nov. What sizes should I be looking for? I figure little kid bikes don't get tons of use before they outgrow them, so I'll be checking out yardsales and craigslist for good deals.

Average sized kids I would get 16 in and 20 in bikes.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Many bike specialty stores have web sites with links to help you choose the right size. DD turned 5 in January, and I was surprised when my research led me to choose a 20" bike for her. She is slightly smaller than average height for her age. Since Santa brought her a 20", he had to bring 8-year-old DS 24" so that his bike would not be smaller than his sister's!

Or just Google "what size bike for children" to find charts with guidelines.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

With or without training wheels? Do they feel comfortable/confident on a bike? My short to average 4.5 year old fits on a 16" bike but it's so much heavier than her balance bike and she doesn't like it. I got her a 12" bike and she likes that better than the 16". She'll outgrow it more quickly but I don't mind because I can resell it for more than I paid.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    With or without training wheels? Do they feel comfortable/confident on a bike? My short to average 4.5 year old fits on a 16" bike but it's so much heavier than her balance bike and she doesn't like it. I got her a 12" bike and she likes that better than the 16". She'll outgrow it more quickly but I don't mind because I can resell it for more than I paid.
    Will need trainers to learn on, up til now they haven't been very interested in bikes other than the big wheeled tricycles they have. Maybe I should take them to a store to try out some bikes to get a better idea.

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's tough because right now they would probably need a 12 inch and a 20 inch....but next year, they will need a 16 inch and a 24 inch.

DD#2 is 4.5 and tall for her age and she's riding on a 12 inch bike. She was riding the same bike last year, so I really thought she'd be ready for a 16 inch this year, but she feels very steady and secure on the 12 inch, so she's keeping it for another year.

When DD#1 was ready to upgrade from her 16 inch I was shocked when she was ready for a 24 inch at 8 years old. It would have been a complete waste to get her a 20 inch bike.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD1 turned 5 in Feb. is ~44'' tall and has been riding her 20'' since last summer. We were in a bike shop and just asked a sales person and he said it's a waste to start any lower (unless not tall enough). We got DD1's bike at Wal-Mart and it came with training wheels.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10