Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gemini or Pikkolo?

Still trying to decide which to register for - Beco Gemini or Catbird Pikkolo. Hoping to get one carrier as a gift...or worse case, buy one to start with

Both look similar. The only difference i see is the Pikkolo perhaps allows a high back carry? The gemini seems more popular overall, but may just be a more common name and/or out longer?

Has anyone tried both and have a preference (especially for baby infant to say 1.5 years old)?

Note: We would get the pikkolo support belt too

(FYI - I'm about 5'6" and size 4-6 (before pregnancy) and my husband is a bit taller with athletic build, but does have a bad back - though he doesn't seem gung ho about the carrier so not sure how much he will use it unless we are walking around for a while and then I could maybe see him using it in the back carrier position).

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I LOVE my pikkolo because it works for both smaller and bigger babies. The Gemini is outgrown sooner.

But really there's not such a huge difference - get whatever pattern you like best .

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love my Gemini and we used it from birth for our 6 lb DD. She's now 9.5 months and we still use it a ton, I only do front and hip carries, though, I'm a chicken and haven't tried a back carry yet. I like that it doesn't need any extra accessories (i.e. infant insert, support belt). But I never tried a Pikkolo. I do have to say the material is a little thick for hot climates on the Gemini, but our climate is very moderate and it's been fine.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're going with a Beco, I'd actually go with the Soleil, which is their newest carrier, due out soon.

The site I usually get my carrier info from, QuirkyBaby.com, doesn't list the Pikkolo as a possible for high-back carries ... if it were, I'm sure that Rachel would have listed it as a possible.

If you have your heart set on a high-back carry, get a woven wrap or a true mei tei, rather than the Pikkolo.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If you're going with a Beco, I'd actually go with the Soleil, which is their newest carrier, due out soon.

The site I usually get my carrier info from, QuirkyBaby.com, doesn't list the Pikkolo as a possible for high-back carries ... if it were, I'm sure that Rachel would have listed it as a possible.

If you have your heart set on a high-back carry, get a woven wrap or a true mei tei, rather than the Pikkolo.
    I am not sure what an advantage of high back carries is. But with the pikkolo I was able to put ds2 on my back from before 3 months thanks to the narrow bottom option.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype
    Last edited by Katigre; 04-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
    I am not sure what an advantage of high back carries is. But with the pikkolo I was able to put ds2 on my back from before 3 months thanks to the narrow bottom option.

High back carries can be done with younger babies than the usual recommended "holds head up & sits up well" guideline babywearing groups usually give ... it allows a younger/shorter baby to see over a wearer's shoulder and/or lean on their shoulder/neck if tired.

It's a sweet carry, but I'm only familiar with it being done using mei teis and woven wraps.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

emily is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's been a while since we got our pikkolo but one of the main reasons we chose it over other carriers was b/c DH could use it too. He has about 100lbs on me.

Hmmm... I think i've read in a couple places that the pikkolo can do a high back carry. One of those is the carrymeaway.com:
    http://www.carrymeaway.com/category_...y-Carriers.htm

Of course, I've never tried it nor am even 100% sure I will use it - just I guess like the option if its indeed an option with one over the other.

From what I understand, the new soleil can't do forward facing, though I could be wrong. I know there is debate on that, but I know so many babies that love it (even for short time), so I want that option (same reason why I ruled out the Ergo for now).

Quote Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

From what I understand, the new soleil can't do forward facing, though I could be wrong. I know there is debate on that, but I know so many babies that love it (even for short time), so I want that option (same reason why I ruled out the Ergo for now).
    Personally, I don't recommend the FFO carry from a parent-ergonomic standpoint (it's rough on a wearer's back) but if you really want FFO, the better carrier in many wearers' opinions is Pikkolo over Gemini.

Honestly, it sounds like you've already made your decision to get the Pikkolo. I think you'll be happy with it - it was actually on my shortlist when researching carriers, but I opted for a woven wrap & the Ergo. (I have some back issues, so FFO wasn't something I wanted.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

I loved my pikkolo. I have identical stats to you in terms of size. I've never had a Gemini, but I had the beco butterfly 2, which I hated (too much going on) and an ergo, which was okay, but not good for little ones.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast