Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Please help me select a booster for DS

DS has only one more inch until he outgrows his convertible car seat. I know that a booster is the next step, but I am totally clueless about them. I've used Britax convertibles with both kids -- are they the way to go with boosters too? Any other brands / considerations re: boosters? Help me narrow down my options please! DS is 32 lbs, 39" tall, and has a 15" seated shoulder height, if this helps.

As always, TIA!!
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

He's not quite 4? I wouldn't put him in a booster. I would look at a combination seat, like the Britax Frontier. It will harness longer and then turns to a booster.
    Kris

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The current recommendations are to wait until the child weighs at least 40 pounds before moving to a booster. I second the suggestion to look at a Frontier. There also are some options from Graco (Nautilus and I think new one). I can't give an opinion on any of these, but I'm sure many people here can!

Just out of curiosity, what is his current seat? I am surprised he would outgrow it at only 39" unless it's one of the older Britax seats. My DD is just over 42" and JUST moved from her (old) Marathon to a booster (Graco Turbobooster). The shoulder straps were just at her shoulders in the top slot; she could have made it at least a few more months, but she was ready to move, and we needed it for various reasons. She's doing really well in her new seat, but I still feel guilty because she is only 5.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are his ears at the top of the seat or are his shoulders above the highest harness slot? I'm surprised he's close to outgrowing the seat. Like others have said, minimum to booster is really 40lbs, and about age 5, as the child has to sit in proper position all the time and it's hard for littles to do so. My DS is newly 7, he is still harnessed in our main vehicle as he falls asleep and moves around on long trips. He just started using a Graco High Back booster in grandparents car for short trips.

If he really is outgrowing the convertible then, I'd look at either the Britax Frontier which will fit him for ages harnessed, and you can look at boostering him in it when he's about 6-7... there is also the Evenflo SecureKid combo and the Graco Nautilus, but I'm partial to the Frontier.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Another vote for the Britax Frontier (the new 90 one looks awesome!) or the Graco Nautilus or Evenflo Securekid.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    The current recommendations are to wait until the child weighs at least 40 pounds before moving to a booster.

Just out of curiosity, what is his current seat? I am surprised he would outgrow it at only 39" unless it's one of the older Britax seats.
    DS uses the Britax Roundabout. I guess it is what you call an "older Britax seat" because the owner's manual says it is good for up to 40" or 40 lbs. I thought that since he was close to 40" that it was time for a new seat, no? I will need to pay more attention to where his head and shoulders rest the next time we are in the car, and I'll update when I have that information. Thanks for your input -- keep it coming please.
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds like you need one of the seats that allows them to be in a harness and eventually converts to a booster when they get bigger.

DS1 (will be 6 years in June, weighs about 47 lbs and is about 47 inches tall) is in a Frontier 85 in our primary car. He still fits into his convertible seat, a Radian 65, in our secondary car. And, he's in a Nautilus in my parents' car. The Frontier and the Nautilus both convert to boosters, so we'll be doing that at some point, and buying him a new booster for our secondary car.
    DS1 6/07

DS2 2/12

We have a combo seat for our 3.5 yo who didn't outgrow his convertible...but handed it down to his younger bro (he outgrew it RF, though so we went with a combo seat for him instead of another convertible for the younger DS).

Anyway, we've been really happy with our Evenflo SecureKid 300's. They're really easy to install, reasonable (I got them at Kohls.com with Kohl's cash and/or 30% off coupons to make them under $100), and DS seems to like them.

It harnesses him now, but when he gets bigger he'll be able to use it as a backless booster. He's 39" tall and about 38 lbs. I don't recall the tallest height for the SK.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Out of curiosity what is the date of manufacture on that seat?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ditto the others -- 4 years and 40lbs is a minimum that I'd ever move a child to a booster, and even then, I'm not comfortable with it that young. My son was 6 before moving to a booster. He was harnessed in a Graco Nautilus until then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast