Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think one of the combo seats is the perfect next step from one of the older Roundabouts.
    I would probably get a Frontier.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Out of curiosity what is the date of manufacture on that seat?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not sure, but it was bought brand new in May '09. IIRC, the expiration was sometime early '09.

I checked out DS in his carseat this evening, and the top of his ears are about 3" from the top of the carseat, and his shoulders are about 1" under the top strap slots.

Thanks again for the suggestions and input. Looks like I will be getting a convertible / booster combo seat. I took a look at the Britax website. Re: Frontier, what's the difference between the Frontier 85 and the Frontier 85 SICT? Also, I see that the Frontier 90 and Pinnacle 90 are "coming soon". Any idea when those are coming out and if I choose to go with Britax, is it a good idea to wait for the newer seats?

Again, thank you for all your help!!
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

One torso inch can take a kid a couple years to grow, so you have plenty of time to wait out the new Frontier/Pinnacle 90 (seat's outgrown when the shoulders go over the top slots, or the tops of the ears are even with the top of the seat shell).
    SICT or Pinnacle have extra plastic side cushion 'airbags' on the side, fine if you have plenty of room in your car and want some extra side impact protection. Frontier85 and 90 don't have those extra cushions, so a little better if there's a seat next to it. The new 90 is really a huge improvement over the 85, in terms of ease-of-install, ease of recline, taller harness, safe cell technology, stand-forward crotch strap. Britaxusa.com has the cutest video of the seat talking to a kid <run to search>... Ok, here it is...http://www.britaxusa.com/clicktight
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup, you have plenty of time left in that seat probably. Also when checking where his shoulders are make sure you feel for where the actual slot is not where it looks on the cover, as the cover tends to ride up a bit.

Like Julie said, I'd wait for the new Frontier 90...it looks nice.

BTW, the date of manufacture is usually on the upper sides under the cover. Some seats bought in a certain year could have been a year old already, that's why I asking, and I thought the old 40lb Roundabouts were older....

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Yup, you have plenty of time left in that seat probably. Also when checking where his shoulders are make sure you feel for where the actual slot is not where it looks on the cover, as the cover tends to ride up a bit.

Like Julie said, I'd wait for the new Frontier 90...it looks nice.

BTW, the date of manufacture is usually on the upper sides under the cover. Some seats bought in a certain year could have been a year old already, that's why I asking, and I thought the old 40lb Roundabouts were older....
    Britax's website lists the Roundabout with the 40 lbs limit as retiring in 8/2010.
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Good to know, I thought when they came out with the RA 50 that most of the old 40's were getting near extinction.

Thank you all for your input. Really useful information!!
    Alyssa
    DS 6/09 & DD 8/11

Default Similar question.. please help!

Hi,

I have a 2.5 year old in a Britax Marathon and a 9 month old in a chicco infant car seat.

I'd like to move my 2.5 year old to the best option, long term car seat (basically I don't want to buy two more car seats / booster seats for him, just one) and my 9 month old into the Britax Marathon.

Can you please suggest what might be the best long term option for my 2.5 year old? Is it a Britax Frontier 90 or Pinnacle 90 or another brand/model ? is it better to get a car seat that has the option of taking the back off for when my older son is 7+ years old? I think the Britax doesn't have this option but not certain..

I am very open to any model, just looking for the best long term option to avoid buying two car seats for my oldest child (but of course, will if that is the safest bet!)

HELP! PS sorry for the book!

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by drliusd View Post
    Hi,

I have a 2.5 year old in a Britax Marathon and a 9 month old in a chicco infant car seat.

I'd like to move my 2.5 year old to the best option, long term car seat (basically I don't want to buy two more car seats / booster seats for him, just one) and my 9 month old into the Britax Marathon.

Can you please suggest what might be the best long term option for my 2.5 year old? Is it a Britax Frontier 90 or Pinnacle 90 or another brand/model ? is it better to get a car seat that has the option of taking the back off for when my older son is 7+ years old? I think the Britax doesn't have this option but not certain..

I am very open to any model, just looking for the best long term option to avoid buying two car seats for my oldest child (but of course, will if that is the safest bet!)

HELP! PS sorry for the book!
    The Frontier is a good choice. Even if you have to buy another that is backless in 5 years, they are very cheap. I just moved my almost 9 year old to a backless and it was $23.99 for a very nice seat! I wouldn't let that be a decision maker.

Also, if you buy a Frontier now, you'll be able to hand that down in 4 years or so when the Marathon expires and the youngest needs something harnessed still. So, you'll likely buy a less expensive booster for the oldest. I have 3 kids and poor DS2 only got a new seat when we were in n accident. Otherwise, DS1 or DD gets something new and he gets their hand me downs
    Kris

Yup, at 2.5 I'd be comfortable forward-facing my kiddo in a Frontier. How much time do you have to wait for the 90 to come out, and do you need more than one seat (like, one for each car)? Then you might buy a less expensive seat now and wait for the the FR to come down in price a bit (like, the Evenflo Maestro or Sureride are simple light seats that are easy to transfer from car to car or use as a travel option, since the Marathon and Frontier are fairly beastly to move once they are installed, kwim?).
    And yup, super nice choices in backless boosters are very inexpensive, in 4+ years when you need one (like for rides with friends/carpooling stuff), they might be even nicer, and you can still leave the big highback in the car rather than wrestle with IT.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast