Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Schools vent

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Schools vent

We're happy with our decision to change schools for DS. It doesn't look like we'll get into a charter (name too far down the list), so DS will be going to our local school. For all the schools we considered, there are pros and cons. My ideal school would be a combination of the local school and our top choice for charters. But that doesn't exist and I'm disappointed we can't find it for DS.

I need to keep in mind the positives of our local school, while we find a way to deal with the cons. And if we got into the charter we wanted, it would be the same, happy with pros and find way to deal with cons.

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Venting right along with you...I'm on the other side of the country and ds1 has been on the waiting list for a Charter less than a mile from our house. Ds2 is going to K in the fall and I was so sure he would get in....but wait listed again. Our local public isn't horrendous, but I'm still thinking the Charter is perfect for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey0709 View Post
    Venting right along with you...I'm on the other side of the country and ds1 has been on the waiting list for a Charter less than a mile from our house. Ds2 is going to K in the fall and I was so sure he would get in....but wait listed again. Our local public isn't horrendous, but I'm still thinking the Charter is perfect for us.
    The things I don't like about the Charter, the local school has. The things I don't like about the local school, the charter has. I'm a confused mess. I need to keep reminding myself that DS will be fine wherever he is.
    Last edited by niccig; 04-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds like both are equally good in different ways. I know it can be agonizing enough to make a decision without dealing with the uncertainty of charter school apps!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

I am sure it will work it fine. I understand the agony of making school choice though.

Catherine

To add to the confusion.

1. Local school is expecting to be full, but they don't know for 3rd grade. If there isn't a spot for DS, he'll be assigned to another school in the district. If it's next local school, that's fine. If it's one of schools across town, no way.

2. Talked to my friend at the Charter school. She thinks we may get in but won't know until over summer or even when school starts. She's friends with principal so is going to try to find out our chances. Pro of the charter is they're planning a MS and HS. Local MS/HS are not so good.

GREAT. I'm a person who likes to know what I'm doing. The lesson I need to learn from this is PATIENCE.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What number are you on the charter school waiting list? Especially in the higher grades, we find people pass on a spot once they really think about uprooting their kid from the school they are leaving. I think some people on the waiting list in the teens have gotten in.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    What number are you on the charter school waiting list? Especially in the higher grades, we find people pass on a spot once they really think about uprooting their kid from the school they are leaving. I think some people on the waiting list in the teens have gotten in.
    The one we want, we're 25 on the list. I've heard they want to expand and weren't full last year for DS's grande. From how I'm reading the letter, they only took K students from the lottery. All other grades were put on waiting list, I'm trying to find out what's going on. There was some talk of them moving location.

Other charters we applied to, we're 8, 14, 19 and 136. Yes, at one charter there are 135 other 3rd graders on the list! Talk about crazy!!!

We can't do anything other than wait. We're definitely pulling DS as don't want to be on hook for tuition, hopefully we get in at our local school (our plan B) and then we'll see about charters. If we don't get into local school or charters, we're in a whole pile of mess. So fingers crossed we have a school for DS.

I think in the upper grades the wait list is likely full of people who won't actually switch. At one charter we applied to you just asked to be wait listed if you don't get in in K and you stay on the list until they contact you. We are probably STILL on that list because we haven't been contacted. We don't even live in the city anymore.

Catherine

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A lot of people change their minds, for various reasons, so don't give up hope!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast