Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Meet GB :)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you suddenly came into a large amount of money (lottery win or inheritance from your 7th cousin you've never met) what charity or cause would you like to support?

(Bum relatives do not count as charity, at least in this case!)

Giantbear is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    If you suddenly came into a large amount of money (lottery win or inheritance from your 7th cousin you've never met) what charity or cause would you like to support?

(Bum relatives do not count as charity, at least in this case!)
    I have actually thought of this, i drive about 20k miles a year, it is amazing where the mind wanders. I would take a portion of the money and start a private foundation which would distribute its income each year to community based needs such as school teams which can't afford to travel to a tourny or refurbishing of parks, and part of the income would be distributed to help children.
    Proud father of dd 5-30-10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Giantbear View Post
    Can i say myself?? Has to be Superman, he flies, he is strong, he is good....... Mostly he flies. That would just be cool
    Dad loves Superman, too.

The Last Son of Krypton has been his hero since he was a little boy, drawing "S"'s on his undershirts, and pinning towels to his shoulders.

He also loves Roy Rogers.

Also, if you didn't live out on Long Island, I would totally ask you if your DD would like a playdate with mine. They sound like they could be birds of a feather.

But here's my question:

Do you feel the need, even if it's ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things, to "boycott" products that have "mom approved" in their advertising or slogans? (My dad did. It made him feel better.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    Dad loves Superman, too.

The Last Son of Krypton has been his hero since he was a little boy, drawing "S"'s on his undershirts, and pinning towels to his shoulders.

He also loves Roy Rogers.

Also, if you didn't live out on Long Island, I would totally ask you if your DD would like a playdate with mine. They sound like they could be birds of a feather.

But here's my question:

Do you feel the need, even if it's ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of things, to "boycott" products that have "mom approved" in their advertising or slogans? (My dad did. It made him feel better.)
    We could use the playdates, apparently, where i live, dad's do not arrange playdates. We have been snubbed by her classmates mothers.

I do not boycott products for that, that would be biting off my nose to spite my face, but i do hate the clorox commercial that shows the dad as a bafoon and a lot of the other commercials that either 1) cater exclusively to mom's for products or 2) perpetuate the 1950's stereotype of a father or 3) ignore the existence of a father in the child rearing process. Children's books are also a problem. I do bath and bedtime exclusively, yet every book about bedtime or bath time is a mother and a child. My kid has it hard enough with a mother who won't do those things, does she need it to be rubbed in her face by a bedtime book too??

Sorry no funny answer for this one, it is a pet peeve of mine. Take a couple of days and try and notice packaging, commercials and books and see if i am right.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Children's books are also a problem. I do bath and bedtime exclusively, yet every book about bedtime or bath time is a mother and a child. My kid has it hard enough with a mother who won't do those things, does she need it to be rubbed in her face by a bedtime book too??

Sorry no funny answer for this one, it is a pet peeve of mine. Take a couple of days and try and notice packaging, commercials and books and see if i am right.
    You are totally right, and my DH has pointed out the EXACT same thing with childrens' books.

mmommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    You are totally right, and my DH has pointed out the EXACT same thing with childrens' books.
    Mine too. Often with our work schedules, he does bedtime. That and he's just better at it than I am But its annoying that there aren't choices for books that match our family better.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We could use the playdates, apparently, where i live, dad's do not arrange playdates. We have been snubbed by her classmates mothers.
    That's the worst.

My brother Joe's very best friend growing up had parents who shunned him after our parents split, so I kind of understand a bit.

I do not boycott products for that, that would be biting off my nose to spite my face, but i do hate the clorox commercial that shows the dad as a bafoon and a lot of the other commercials that either 1) cater exclusively to mom's for products or 2) perpetuate the 1950's stereotype of a father or 3) ignore the existence of a father in the child rearing process. Children's books are also a problem. I do bath and bedtime exclusively, yet every book about bedtime or bath time is a mother and a child. My kid has it hard enough with a mother who won't do those things, does she need it to be rubbed in her face by a bedtime book too??

Don't worry about it not being a funny one; I hear a lot of the same things Dad went through with us in your answer! And that's what I mean - the dads-as-buffoons or dads "babysitting" their kids BS that's in quite a lot of our media. Why can't we acknowledge our wonderful, capable, nurturing DADS? The ad agencies seem to think they are few and far between, but I know so many that I'm always irritated by them.

I actually avoid Mom-and-baby books myself because my relationship with my own mom growing up was rather fraught with complications. As an adult, I have been able to acknowledge that a lot of it was due to her own struggles with depression, but as a kid, it really bothered me. (For example, I still cannot read Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman without getting upset and I am 35 years old.)

For books, well, DD and I like The Paper-bag Princess and Chu's Day at the moment, when we're not reading Princess Potty.

She also likes Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please Go Now? by Dr. Seuss; it was one of my favorites as a kid.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love "Daddy makes the Best Spaghetti" by Anna Grossnickle Hines. It has Daddy doing daycare pick-up, taking the child to the grocery store, making dinner with help from child, doing bath and bedtime with only marginal help from Mommy. You really should get this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We love "Daddy makes the Best Spaghetti" by Anna Grossnickle Hines. It has Daddy doing daycare pick-up, taking the child to the grocery store, making dinner with help from child, doing bath and bedtime with only marginal help from Mommy. You really should get this one!
    Wow, that is us to a T.... I would get it, but i think my wife would throw it at me

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7