Default question for those who ferber/cio...

ds is 6 months old and we are starting to let him cry it out at naps and bedtime at night. one question though. sometimes he cries for an hour until it is time to nurse again. i feel like i should feed him, but then he falls asleep nursing. it seems like that is teaching him that if he cries long enough, i will come nurse him to sleep.
    what should i do?

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My first bit of advice is to just do bedtime and not naps. The sleep is different and I think Ferber works better for bedtime. Some kids are just not ready to nap without help way past the time they can fall asleep at night without help. Second, do you have the Ferber book? If not, go buy it and read the whole thing. It is very helpful.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would just do bedtimes, and I would not nurse him.

When we Ferberized, we had my husband do the check ins (every 10 minutes). That way it wasn't like I was there but refusing to offer the comfort of nursing. It worked surprisingly fast.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I would just do bedtimes, and I would not nurse him.

When we Ferberized, we had my husband do the check ins (every 10 minutes). That way it wasn't like I was there but refusing to offer the comfort of nursing. It worked surprisingly fast.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009