Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I actually googled California earlier on this topic... it says:

21950. (a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
    (b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
    (c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.
    (d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Ugh, that's so scary! I've not run across that (no pun intended) but one of the main streets headed into my town has a 50 mph speed limit, no sidewalks, and is not exactly pedestrian-friendly. People insist on walking along that road *with* traffic, in dark clothing at night, barely off the road, and the only way you can see them is by the glow of their smartphones as they obliviously text or surf Facebook as they walk.

Or they walk their (black) dogs in our neighborhood, at night, with traffic, wearing dark clothing, down the middle of the driving lane. Um, there's a sidewalk 5 feet away from you. Why wouldn't you use that if you're not going to at least use some common sense about walking at night?

Sarah
    OP, I get your complaint. Just last wknd we were at Pittsburgh for DH's conference and there was one jogger that we had to brake for. He crossed the street without even LOOKING and had we not stopped, we would have hit him. As for ppl walking with traffic or on the street instead of the sidewalk. That is a big pet peeve of mine. I can understand joggers running on the street more than walkers. There is this old couple somewhere in our neighborhood and while we live in a very typical looking suburban neighborhood, what do they do. They walk on the street. Not just ON the street at the edge, but in the MIDDLE of the street, like one person on one lane and the other on the other lane. I almost hit them one time when the trash truck was at my neighbor's house and I was trying to back out of my driveway and guess what, these stupid idiots were ON the street and I nearly missed them and they were too dumb to move fast. I finally got irritated another time and flat out asked them why they insisted on walking ON the street instead of the sidewalk and the woman replied that her knees her and the sidewalk's bumps hurt her knees?!?! I told her it was dangerous and that I almost hit them once since I didn't see them. They just looked at me like they didn't see what the problem was with them using the middle of the street as their own walk path, and I just couldn't help but think that these ppl were not only stupid, but also very entitled to think that everyone else should go out of the way to figure out how to drive around them while they are on the street and they have the audacity, to not even walk on the SIDE of the street.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

If you want to see how distracted, careless, or just plain stupid people can be, do a YouTube search for "Red Light Camera". There are a host of videos captured by redlight cameras, most showing accidents, many of them looking sever. Every driver should see these videos so that they will understand it's not 'safe' to go just because you have a green light. You've got to keep your eyes open for the stupid people out there.

MamaInMarch is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What gets me is the bikers and walkers in our neighborhood that do this at night in all dark clothing with no reflective gear or lights. Really?!?! Many, many people have been killed along a road here with no stoplights that has a 50 mph speed limit. I actually only drive in the fast lane at night when I have to be on that road so that no one walking or biking would be near me.

Kungjo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Joggers aren't the only ones not paying attention. People walking out of stores and into parking lots don't watch either. They have no regard for their safety and it drives me bonkers. Just because you have right of way doesn't mean you don't have to stop and look to make sure the way is clear. Imagine the pain and suffering you would be in if someone accidentally hit you. Sheesh!
    Mom to two beautiful DDs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2