Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i thought elaine used the sponge?

which might be a good option if it's still around. it was, then it wasn't, then it was, and i've lost track, but it has spermicide but no hormones.
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by karstmama View Post
    i thought elaine used the sponge?

which might be a good option if it's still around. it was, then it wasn't, then it was, and i've lost track, but it has spermicide but no hormones.
    Yah, Elaine used the Today sponge, which is disposable. A diaphragm is somewhat similar but is reusable and is made of latex/rubber (?). A diaphragm is supposedly less effective that condoms FYI. I used to use one but there is no way I want to get pregnant so I think condoms are the best bet as far as the percentages go.
    DD
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    Yah, Elaine used the Today sponge, which is disposable. A diaphragm is somewhat similar but is reusable and is made of latex/rubber (?). A diaphragm is supposedly less effective that condoms FYI. I used to use one but there is no way I want to get pregnant so I think condoms are the best bet as far as the percentages go.
    More Elaine's birth control usage. According to this wikipedia article she did use a diaphragm at least for some of the show.

I think the effectiveness of the diaphragm depends in part on how well it is fitted, right?

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    I'll add a couple of natural ones: Marquette, which uses the Clearblue monitor, and Creighton.
    I use the babycomp, it uses basal temperature and it's very effective (more than BCP) though it requires discipline.

I have considered the non-hormonal IUD, too. i can't take BCP's.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you just need a bridge until you have your tubal later, and your DH/SO does not want to have a vasectomy, you could combine diaphragm and condoms. The 2 together should be more effective than either alone. I used this strategy for while when in a long distance relationship. It was not worth it to take hormones every day when I only needed birth control every 2-3 months.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

Years ago, one of my friends used contraceptive foam (or jelly) AND condoms together, since it had the highest rate of success in preventing pregnancy. You would need to check with your doctor about whether you can use the foam because of the chemical content.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sntm View Post
    Stonecali, I'm a diaphragm user too. My pcp told me how retro I was!
    Hipster birth control!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've been reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility as a non-hormonal b.c. option and it seems pretty straightforward so long as you're diligent.

At the moment, I'm looking for an app for my iPhone that would help me chart rather than having to keep a sheet of graph paper & pencil on my nightstand.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the replies! The non-hormonal IUD sounds like a good option. I will ask the Dr. about it, but I have a tipped uterus...does that make an IUD not a good option?
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! The non-hormonal IUD sounds like a good option. I will ask the Dr. about it, but I have a tipped uterus...does that make an IUD not a good option?
    I just got a copper iud 6 weeks ago and had a very easy insertion and a quite tilted uterus. No cramping or spotting issues either, so far it's great.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast