Default Refusing a sippy cup

My 13-month-old DD is not a fan of the sippy cup. I have been putting a cup of water on her highchair tray with her meals for a while now, but she typically just throws it off. She doesn't even want it on the tray, lol. On very few occasions she has picked it up and put it in her mouth, but doesn't really drink. I have tried putting milk in it (to attempt to get her off the bottle) and she just turns her head and pushes it away. I don't remember my son ever refusing a sippy, so I'm not really sure what to do. Try a different cup? Just keep gently offering? TIA!
    Mom to DS 7/2004
    and DD 3/2012

I tried several before we got the Zoli-bot cup. You might have seen my recent post about it in this forum. We honestly love the cup, but just wish liquid would stop escaping through the straw. I haven't rec'd my replacement straws yet, so I'm hopeful this will resolve it. I've also found that if I don't tighten the lid super tight and am careful not to fill it too much, it doesn't happen nearly as often.
    Proud mom to one & only DS born 4/12
    Expecting someone new in April 2016

You can try a different cup (hard spout, soft spout, straw spout, some kids are picky), but we've had good luck by offering very diluted apply juice in a cup without a valve, so if even she brings it to her mouth, a bit will dribble out and she'll want more. Once she figures out the mechanics of drinking from a cup, she'll be more interested.
    DS- 6/09
    DD- 4/12
    It's a boy! DS- 2/15

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD never would take a valved sippy cup. We just gave her a straw cup instead.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    DD never would take a valved sippy cup. We just gave her a straw cup instead.
    We started with straw cups too. The take and toss ones worked pretty well for water at home. They do leak if you turn them upside down. They were cheaper in store : http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-4-...bxgy_ba_text_z

Suzan is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

My DD is also 13 months old. We went through about 6 diffrent kinds of sippy cups. She will not use the ones with the valves and is not great with straws. The only ones so far she will consistantly use are the take n toss. She will use them fantastically at daycare but at home it is mostly a struggle since she would rather still have her bottle at home. I am getting ready to have her pick a special sippy cup to use at home and see if maybe that will help to get her away from the bottle more. I wish you luck!