Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default $100 to spend...

Birthday gift I need to spend quickly on something clothing-wise just for me. Problem is I'm newly preggo and was told not to buy maternity clothes w/ the money. It's coming from a sweet relative who is giving me her CC, so it's not like it can wait until after baby is born. So...I saw a cute cape/cardigan at Nordstrom that would look super cute this fall and still fit while pg...and it'd make a nice nursing cover when baby is born.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bobeau-a...9-001b2166c62d
    Also, color suggestions? I feel like grey is so boring, but taupe/camel looks horrid on my coloring.

But that only brings me to $40...I could get 2. Better suggestion?

I was also thinking about possibly a sweater or cardigan or loose maxi-style dress from anthropologie, but w/ out a B&M store to try things on, I'd need to read a good review about fit.

Any suggestions?

What do you think of these tunic dresses from Boden? In lemon/blue or coral/grey http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens...?NavGroupID=88
    Or this in blue or olive http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens...nic-Dress.html
    Last edited by bostonsmama; 05-02-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Shoes!!!!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsmama View Post
    Birthday gift I need to spend quickly on something clothing-wise just for me. Problem is I'm newly preggo and was told not to buy maternity clothes w/ the money.
    Sorry, but that just seems mean.

As for suggestions - I love these: http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...9/product.html. I have them and wear it all the time in different ways.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

What about jewelry or other accessories? It might just be me, but I am *over* any clothes I use for maternity purposes as soon as the baby is here. But for some reason jewelry I've gotten during the pregnancy has this special 'ah, I got this when I was pregnant with DS' memory associated with them.

(FWIW, I tried that cape and really wanted it to work and it was a disaster on me, but I'm short and stubby and just can't do unstructured things I've decided. )
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Good to know about the cape. I wonder if they carry it in-store. We do have a Nordies in town.

I have a million shoes. I wish I had a reason to wear more than I own (like, heels--church is 2hrs long and I'm usually teaching, so I wear ballet flats or boots or I'd die).

This relative gives me tons of real jewelry....she's in the biz. Last year I got 1.5ctw diamond studs for my bday from her! This year I got Tacori jackets for the earrings. I don't want for jewelry.

Yes, and I have a ton of maternity clothes from last pg...and it's almost week-for-week the same due date. There are definitely some pieces I think I'm going to add this year, but this relative wants pictures of whatever I buy, so I don't know if I'd get away w/ it. I know she hates drapey capes, too, but I just don't care about that. I have a freakishly tall torso, and I'm not heavy (her criticism is that they make people look fat), so I don't care if it "adds lbs."

I'm not a purse person, either...esp since purses I like aren't under $100.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Can you just say that you’re so appreciative, but you really don’t need any clothes, would she mind if you put it towards something else? Like some fun teacups or a serving platter or some sort of other household thing that you’d enjoy? Honestly, I would hate getting a gift like that. I would probably say that I’d rather just have her take me out to a fancy lunch next time we were in the same town.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

cute pair of sandals
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Mermanaid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am wearing that cape right now and love, love, love it! I am a bit short and stubby but it works well on me.

I have the gray/blue color and it goes well with my skin tone.

Oh and they had it in my store so maybe you could try it. They only had three colors though. Gray/blue, taupe and black.
    Jenn

My loves:
    DD 11/2004
    DS 6/2007

Yeah, I could buy teacups with it. There's no "stipulation" against that. It just has to be "for me." She doesn't want me using it for the new baby (like, gear...trust me, she bought DD an entire bedroom suite for over $3500...I'm going to get more stuff) or my DH commandeering it (he does this).

I just love clothing. My clothing budget as a SAHM is so minimal. There has to be something out there that can transcend a growing tummy and look cute for at least the next 4 months and then post-partum.

Cute yellow anorak?
    Military jackets: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/buffalo-...sults-_-1_24_C

I thought this shirtdress was cute: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/sandra-i...sults-_-1_13_B

Seriously, I only had to wear maternity pants while pg until the very end. At 7 months pg my stomach didn't even jut past my chest. I have so much room for baby to go up before out. An unstructured tunic would be great, too.
    Last edited by bostonsmama; 05-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

I know you said no maternity... but I am in LOVE with these shorts I just got from Pea in a Pod. They don't have a panel and I'm certain that I will be able to wear them post partum and probably beyond. I got them in gray.

http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product....b-99292ae528b2

I also have these shorts and like them a lot. Again, no panel!

http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product....b-99292ae528b2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast