VClute is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default gah! is this even legal?!

So, our last two iep meetings were real marathon events. When we scheduled this one, I even joked that I would bring lunch because I wanted to do a top to bottom review of ds entire iep, goals, accommodations, everything. We were also supposed to hear the results of two other assessments. I did my homework, took notes, and cleared my calendar. So I was really peeved to be handed a timed agenda as soon as I walked in. I was afforded 15 minutes to discuss my concerns, but was told "we don't really need to address the whole iep today since we've decided to retain days and we don't have those results yet." What?! Yes, I'm all for retaining days, but why the hell have a meeting if you haven't done what you said you would do more than a month ago and don't want to discuss anything new? I would rather have had it cancelled rather than go out there and be so offended with a time limit on my concerns. Hmph.
    Amy in NC
    mom to Dixon, 2/14/2005
    and Abigail, 4/7/2007

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

whuck?! what happened after you slapped them?
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's terrible! I've been given the rush once we got to the IEP meeting, but only about an hour. I'd ignore them if they acted like they were ready to finish up.

Have you looked into a special needs advocate? I didn't even know they were out there, but my 4-5 months of calling every place and everyone I could find (other than the school!!) I was given someone's number. She was great and very willing to come to IEP meeting. We haven't had another because we were hooked up with a new place doing ABA therapy in home. DS is in the process of getting his assessment.

Wishing you the best of luck!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

That's really dreadful. I don't know about the legalities but you can certainly request another meeting. I would do so and I would put in writing what happened this time and what you want to happen next time (ie assessments complete and available for discussion, adequate time to address your concerns, etc) and requesting a 2 hour time block for the meeting--or whatever time you think is necessary.

You do also have the right to record the meetings if you provide prior notice, I believe.

Catherine

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So sorry. I have had more than my share of IEP woes, and here is what I have learned from advocacy agencies.
    -Put your concerns in writing. In your case, I would e-mail before the meeting outlining your concerns, what you want to discuss, and based on your receiving a timed agenda--an amount of time you want allotted for this (now I will be the first to say this is extremely difficult b/c for me it depends on how much arguing/cutting me off is going to happen!).
    -When you arrive at the meeting, hand out your written concerns, what you want to discuss. Make sure they can allot the time.
    -If they say they can't for any reason, re-schedule for a time when they can (not sure if you would go ahead and do *their* meeting the way they wanted it, without your piece or not, I would probably have a hard time walking out--unless I did not feel I could do their piece without my piece and then I would just say that.

Good luck. These types of things have caused so much stress for me.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes