Default Stupid leaky roof

Exactly what it sounds like...but this will be the 3rd time we've tried to fix it (twice we had professionals do the work).

It is a weird thing. The original (1960's ranch) has a pitched roof and detached garage with a shallow-sloped/flat-ish roof. Then one of the previous owners put on an addition that attaches the garage and the house - It is a single room that we use as a dining room when guests are over.

Anyway, the addition has a flat roof...and the seam between the flat roof of the addition and the sloped roof of the original house keeps leaking. But it has gotten WAY worse.

I just wish it would go away because I felt like we were finally getting caught up financially....this will put us WAY behind again.

Just UGG....I want it fixed for good. Sometimes I loathe being a homeowner.
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I remember your roof struggles. What a bummer that it is acting up again. Any chance the previous "fix" was defective and the original contractors can make a simple change that won't be too costly?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I think I remember your roof struggles. What a bummer that it is acting up again. Any chance the previous "fix" was defective and the original contractors can make a simple change that won't be too costly?
    :Yeahthat: did the work come with a warranty? I'd at least call them up and see what they can do, and get a quote from someone else reputable too for more information and another option.

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're having the same issues. It's awful!! Our house leaked the week we were closing, otherwise we wouldn't even have known about the issue. It's also a flatish roof over the dining that attaches to the house. Previous owners apparently tore off roof, increased pitch, put metal and all of the weather stuff under it. We had the entire back brick facade torn off and replaced with hardy backer. Now we've added a leak that is coming into our window in the living room. I think maybe the people who tore off the bricks didn't put the correct stuff around the window and now it's just raining in our living room. It's so frustrating because we've had countless people out, the previous owners did too and no one can fix or even identify the issue.

Unfortunately I don't think there have been any failures specifically. I think we "fix" one area that could be the cause of the leak (and may very well be at that time) and then it moves to another area when it can't get in the original way.

We had a very highly recommended roofer out on Friday and he was on the roof with DH in the rain, and saw exactly where the water was coming in and where its come in in the past....and he wasn't even sure what the cause might be. He started with one potential cause (cost us about $70) and said if we experience more leaking he'll probably look to pull about 4 rows of shingles off where the sloped roof meets the flat roof. There is no glaring cause...so now we're just kind of fishing.

In the mean time, I don't want to replace the drywall and carpet that were all wet if they may get wet again....but I'm sure there is mold growing nicely in that wet soggy area....

The ultimate irony....we were talking to the neighbors who have lived here since our house was built and they said the owner who put on the addition with the flat roof....was a ROOFER!!!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Ugh! That's just insult to injury.

Catherine