Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default SSC for heavy/tall "leaners"

We have a woven Girasol wrap, a Babyhawk mei tei, and an Ergo (bought secondhand, so I'm not sure if it's a specific model). We need to replace the Ergo, which is getting to be super uncomfortable for both of us. We feel it especially when she leans back, which she really enjoys right now , in either a front or back carry.

Is the Kinderpack the best thing that'll work for us? Agnes is 12 months and 25.8 lbs, 30.4", so I guess the Toddler size, even though she's under the minimum height? They say it's much bigger than the Standard, would we be better off with that?

Ant other recommendations? I actually love the wrap but DH prefers the convenience of the BH and Ergo, so I'm looking for another buckled carrier to fill that niche. Adjustable (we have a 10" spread between our heights) and padded straps are main requirements. And Agnes has super chunky thighs so something comfy for her legs is a must.

ETA: I wish we had a BW group so we could try a few, but there is nothing for about 2 hours in any direction. I'll be ordering online, which makes me nervous, considering the cost. It wasn't an issue with the Gira or Babyhawk since those are pretty versatile and adjustable!

Lara
    Last edited by queenmama; 05-08-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I tried several brands, and Kinderpack was my favorite! I went straight to the toddler size for my big boy when he was under a year old and it worked great.
    ETA: This store now carries Kinderpacks, and they also have a trial program: http://www.sproutsoup.com/services/c...-program-faqs/

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't know the specific dimensions but the new Beco Soleil has a tall back and padded leg area. You could order from Amazon with free shipping and free returns to try it if it looks like it may work. It is brand new so probably not too many reviews.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

queenmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks to both of you! I might try both of these!

Lara
    Mama to Henry (6/2000) and Agnes (4/2012)
    old school member of the BBB

I snugged my dd in pretty tight so she couldn't lean much. Not sure if that might help you. (But I also stopped carrying her much at all by about ten months as she wanted nothing to do with baby wearing once she started walking.)

Catherine

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I snugged my dd in pretty tight so she couldn't lean much. Not sure if that might help you. ...
    That's what I was doing and I was getting shoulder stress, because, as I learned recently, a SSC with the hip belt is actually supposed to be worn a bit looser so baby "sinks" into the bottom. It's hard to describe, but you'll feel it if you play with your carrier a bit.

OP - I have a Toddler KP which was my upgrade from an Ergo. It's great; it IS quite a bit larger than the Ergo, but that's actually fine because - DD is a leaner as well. For comparison, my DD is 3 yrs old, 37" or 38" tall and around 33-ish pounds. I keep the KP stashed in the car so I always have it when we're out & about.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    That's what I was doing and I was getting shoulder stress, because, as I learned recently, a SSC with the hip belt is actually supposed to be worn a bit looser so baby "sinks" into the bottom. It's hard to describe, but you'll feel it if you play with your carrier a bit.

Hmm, I found if it wasn't snug enough dd did lean away from me and her weight was just pulling out away from me making the carrier worse than just holding her without a carrier. Her bottom was definitely always in the bottom of the carrier, but wearing it loose made it pretty useless for me due to leaning. I don't know if if this is a ymmv thing or just a happy medium thing that is hard to describe online, but snugging the carrier into me definitely made it much better.

Catherine

I am a pretty big fan of the standard Kp. My kids like to be arms out, so that works better for them, I'm thinking a toddler might just swallow her up. DD is a tiny little peanut, but at almost 8 months the infant still has her arms in and just her head poking out.

What state are you in? I can't imagine a decent bw group wouldn't have a few kps!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Dena

Super Crunchy Mama to:
    ('06) The big guy

('09) The little guy

('12) and the diva

Learning to live with MSPI, FPIES and Food Allergies.

PAXbaby does rentals, so you could try one out before you make the plunge.

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have an infant KP if you want to try it before you buy one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast