Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default In-laws visiting

How is it that just two more people in my home increases the number of dishes I have to wash exponentially? My in-laws are in the middle of week two of their visit (which is a bitch in itself), and I have never washed so many glasses. Each of them drinks several cups of coffee a day, taking a new mug every time. They also take a variety of pills at different times of day, so that means several water glasses used by each one. I feel like I spend half the day cleaning up after them (as if my own kids didn't make enough of a mess).

I suppose I brought this on in part, since I told MIL that I didn't want her loading the dishwasher. The fact is she doesn't rinse the dishes well before putting them in (in a completely random way) so bits of dried egg or whatnot remain stuck to the plate or fork. I know every time I have set the table in her home, I have ended up running back to the kitchen to rewash items found in her cupboard or silverware drawer.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ilfaith View Post
    Each of them drinks several cups of coffee a day, taking a new mug every time. They also take a variety of pills at different times of day, so that means several water glasses used by each one. I feel like I spend half the day cleaning up after them (as if my own kids didn't make enough of a mess).

I suppose I brought this on in part, since I told MIL that I didn't want her loading the dishwasher. The fact is she doesn't rinse the dishes well before putting them in (in a completely random way) so bits of dried egg or whatnot remain stuck to the plate or fork.
    Do we have the same in-laws?

Except that I barred MIL from loading the dishwasher after she put the Wusthof knives into it, which pit in the dishwasher . . . and tried to put cast aluminum pots, which also pit.

Family is a joy!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ugh! My mil, "helps" by immediately clearing off everyone's cups and glasses after meals, so nobody can find their glass and has to get a new one. It is so aggravating to me that literally the only thing she does to, "help" causes me more work and annoyance. I totally get your rant!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

You could switch to paper and styrofoam cups and say that the dishwasher isn't working.......

Honestly, the best advice I ever got about ILs was to keep in mind that this is a temporary situation, and they WILL go home. And just thank your deity of choice that they don't live with you all the time.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Do you have masking tape? Write their name on two pieces and label a mug and a glass for them. Have the cups sitting right out on the counter.

Or...use a sharpie and put their names on some sippie cups.....
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Or...use a sharpie and put their names on some sippie cups.....
    The Take N Toss! Perfect!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Paper plates and cups. When they are done they can put them on the trash. Tell em the dishwasher is broken.

If they complain then they are welcome to hand wash the dishes!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mine only uses ONE the whole visit. Picks out the odd colored mug and leaves it sitting in the middle of the counter the whole week. I cant count how many times I put it in the dishwasher out of habit. But yeah I get ya.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Ugh! My mil, "helps" by immediately clearing off everyone's cups and glasses after meals, so nobody can find their glass and has to get a new one. It is so aggravating to me that literally the only thing she does to, "help" causes me more work and annoyance. I totally get your rant!
    This is my MIL and DH's grandmother exactly!!!
    The two of them are obsessed with clearing glasses and it seems as though they believe that once the main course is done, so are the glasses. They clear while I'm distracted with the kids and of course the kids all want more to drink with dessert. Drives me bonkers!!
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast