Default Getting a car towed...whuck?

We went over to our condo to check for a package, and someone was parked in our spot (it's a gated underground lot, one spot per unit). I called the towing company, and after taking all the info, then informed me it that it was MY responsibility to make an effort to find the owner. They suggested I knock at all 84 units to try find the guilty party--at 11 at night. Wtf? There is no guest pkg. There is no street pkg. We are supposed to double park and risk getting towed ourselves...and bother 84 ppl/families at 11pm to track down the guilty party? The tow guy basically said that if I didn't make an effort to inform the person "then you and I could meet in court." Great. Thank you. Goodbye.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh, I know how frustrating that can be! We lived in a downtown condo last summer where there was limited parking- 2 spaces per, and our friends' car was already in their regular space. We had 1 space for our 2 cars, and whenever I'd run to the grocery after the DC were in bed, and I'd come back with a dozen bags, the people going out drinking for the night would have already zipped in, parked in my space, taken up all the street parking, and so on. I've never been so angry. I had to drop groceries with DH, and drive around for 30 min. to find a space 2 blocks away.

One of my neighbors here keeps spreading their cars out in the numbered parking spaces. Yesterday, they had all 3 of their cars in spaces assigned to units that are for sale. REALLY makes me appreciate driveways.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    REALLY makes me appreciate driveways.
    People can still park in your driveway. My sister and her DH bought a house that's been empty for several months. Friends of neighbours next door got into habit of parking in their driveway. Boxed my BIL in who had to leave. He asks them to move and was told they would only be 10 mins. My sis said she's never seen someone move their car so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    People can still park in your driveway. My sister and her DH bought a house that's been empty for several months. Friends of neighbours next door got into habit of parking in their driveway. Boxed my BIL in who had to leave. He asks them to move and was told they would only be 10 mins. My sis said she's never seen someone move their car so fast.
    Yep. I had an apt building behind my last house and people parked there all the time to visit the apartments. They also parked across the end of the driveway (wth?). I'd have to go knocking on all the apartment doors to find out who owned the cars so I could get out.

Fortunately the small town cops were happy to come and sit at the end of my driveway with their lights flashing...usually produced the party pretty quickly. Weird thing is there was legal street parking, always empty.

Some people just don't think.

Could you have called the cops? Did you leave the people a note? take their plate #? Could be that if you dont' live there and the space is often free, someone with a frequent overnight guest has decided to risk it...?