Default "Water" like stains from top loader??

I've checked and seen that there were 2 previous threads on this, but one was for a front loader (mildew in the rubber door folds causing the problem) and the other didn't seem to be resolved.

So I'm asking again - anyone had stains show up on their clothes after washing and drying that look like "water spots?" I'm assuming it is grease or something, but I haven't had luck removing them. They're showing up more frequently. We have Kenmore top loading washer and dryer that was new in 2005 or 2006.

Any luck removing the stains?

Anyone figure out what is causing them and how to prevent it?

TIA!
    --------
    DS - Adopted by loving parents 1995
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

I have luck with putting dishsoap on the stains and rewashing in hot to remove the stains.

Sierra
    2 boys 2 girls

Quote Originally Posted by craftysierra View Post
    I have luck with putting dishsoap on the stains and rewashing in hot to remove the stains.

Sierra
    I've tried that using dawn with varying luck. Usually very little....but every once in a while it works. I'm annoyed when they show up on the kiddos clothes...but they're starting to show up on DH's and mine, now, too!
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have you changed your laundry detergent? When the laundry sheets came out a few years ago, they were accused of causing spots. They are great for travel though, so we still have some and risk the spots.
    mom to Billy 12/07

No change in detergent in 4 years (all free & clear and Dreft for the kids), I don't use fabric softener, I add the soap to the water and let it fill at least 1/2 way before adding the clothes.

the spots would show up occasionally in the last 2 years...but lately it is with EVERY single load.
    --------
    DS1 7/2009 ('Stachio)
    DS2 9/2011 (Peanut)

Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's odd. We get them from time to time. I've always thought it was the fabric softener and dawn has always removed them.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

Have you stripped your washer lately?