Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you can afford it, get a private eval.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry that the school is being so unsupportive. You're getting some good advice, and I don't know the ins-and-outs of the Spec Ed world yet, but I couldn't not send a hug your way. Hang in there, and keep fighting for your kiddo.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

What a nightmare for you and your poor DS. I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I also think you should check out a private evaluation - ours was worth every penny. I felt better having an unbiased report.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

My only knowledge of special ed comes second hand (friends and sibling's children), but I do know that everything depends on you. If the school is mishandling things, you need to jump in and set them straight.

If you think the word suspension should not go on his record, you need to work to remove that. Even if it means hiring a lawyer. Unfortunately, school districts respond more to threats than to honest parents. And I think you have a valid case, considering that the school refused your request for an IEP early on.

With only 31 days left in the school year, the school has no incentive to get the evaluation done. I would go to the county as soon as you can, since they will probably not do much over the summer either.
    Happy Healthy and Handsome DS 8/13

Are there any public school alternatives? An IEP would go a very long way towards protecting him from things like suspension as long as he is in public school.

Catherine

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Are there any public school alternatives? An IEP would go a very long way towards protecting him from things like suspension as long as he is in public school.

Catherine
    I agree. Is there anything like a public alternative school or a charter school that is very much a part of the public school system?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

IMO anything that can lead to disruption in education warrants an IEP. Your DS had challenges that led to his suspension, and that means disruption of education. He needs an IEP, and deserves an evaluation at a minimum before being labeled "that kid". It's unfair to him.
    I second getting a private evaluation. This will not only answer a lot of questions about DS' challenges but you will know if the school is really looking your child or if they are looking at their bottomline. You can decide the course once you have that, and you will be able to pursue it with more conviction. Somehow, I always feel that there is always a conflict of interest when school's evaluate, esp given budget cuts.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree about getting the private evaluation. I would also ask for the school psychologist to do a classroom observation. It's best if it is someone that he doesn't know. They are sometimes able to observe dynamics within the class that the teacher is not aware of (whican can be tricky to broach with the teacher...). In our district, I asked the school counselor to set this up.

In our district, if a child is on or above grade level, it is almost impossible to get an IEP unless you child has an autism spectrum diagnosis (even then it is difficult unless the social impairment is severe) or a significant physical disability (deaf, limited mobility, etc.). You can, however, get a 504 if your child has a condition which impairs their ability to "fully access the curriculum".

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.index.htm

In my district, the magic words are "I want an IEP evaluation for a 504 plan". That sets in place the evaluation process. But it can take months if you rely on the district and poorly funded districts will put up a lot of roadblocks. If you have a diagnosis in hand from outside, you can bypass the evaluation process and ask "for an IEP meeting to establish a 504 plan" for my child.

A 504 does not have the same legal clout as an IEP, but it does establish that his teachers and the school need to make modifications to the classroom and curriculum that allow him to fully function within the classroom. That could be things like.....

preferential seating
    the right to use coping tools (fidget balls, etc.)
    the right to see the counselor when he is upset
    the right to have reduced homework load (if appropriate)

I actually removed my older DD from a classroom this year because her teacher was repeatedly not allowing her to see the counselor (which is in her 504 plan). When I e-mailed the counselor and principal that I was concerned because he "was repeatedly not allowing her to use the tools outlined in her 504" they took that very seriously and offered us an alternative placement.

Based on the 504 you can request particular teachers, request that certain classroom environments be avoided, request placement in groups without certain children if they are triggers, etc.

So the 504 can be very effective.

And I can tell you that younger DD was almost suspended from KINDERGARTEN this year. They called us and said "if you get here in 10 minutes, we'll just say she was never here today" vs. having a suspension on her file. But they only did this because they already knew we had an evaluation scheduled for her in the next week. I would absolutely try to get that suspension off his record especially if you think you might apply to private school. The private school will likely want a copy of his public school record.
    Last edited by egoldber; 05-11-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2