Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Ideas on how to organize dd's file/evals, etc

I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this, but would love some help or ideas!

Dd has had a lot of different evals, and there are other things I keep copies of as well (including IEPS, qualifying documentation, articles/info about her diagnoses to give to the many professionals who don't get it etc). I like to keep multiple copies of many of these things, as I end up needing to give them to people quite often.

Any ideas on what kind of system to use? I tried one of those big envelopes with multiple compartments, but I have too much for it. I am notoriously bad with creating systems. Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Can you scan them and keep as PDFs? Then you can print or share electronically as needed?
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, scan is what I do.
    here's my system:
    - there are the originals - in covers (I don't like to punch holes in the originals)
    - then I have a hard copy of these and in a binder - for frequent reference
    - scan and keep an electronic copy. I also use these to print out copies for different professionals
    - I haven't done it yet, but I will be backing up all of this into a hard disk and likely an online dropbox type of system.

Btw, I have a binder for each year - or at least that is the plan - this is my first year having all this stuff. And I have a separate one for all the invoices and claims that my insurance processes.

btw, I keep the IEP separate from the private services, so that's the third binder.

ETA: depending on how much we accumulate, I might do separate binder for each service (OT, ST, groups etc.) and have them filed by year. another way to do this, I guess. btw, that is the system I follow on my computer. Also, under each service, say OT, I have folders for each provider - sometimes we have multiple at a time or sometimes we just moved on from one to another.
    Last edited by Sweetum; 05-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure what I am going to do, as I both don't have lots of convenient storage space and scanning is kind of a pain given how many pages we'd be talking about and that my scanner is pretty low tech. I do feel validated that there wasn't some kind of quick easy solution that makes sense for my situation.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I keep a copy of each diagnosis in a binder using sheet protectors and then make copies as necessary. Each year's IEP is filed with the same year's report cards.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

what are the categories of what you have? this always helps me figure out what I need.

Is there a set of stuff you need to have but not ready at hand (that lends itself to a file system -- hanging folders) and a set of stuff you need to have when you leave the house (that lends itself to a 3 ring binder)?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I have to say that that was the reason I also decided to invest in a sightly better printer+scanner. It has a feeder and is wireless, so, I just put the reports in the feeders and hit the scan button. I also somtimes do a whole bunch at a time and later divvy up the pdfs into separate pdfs - saves a lot of time and can be done anytime versus being tethered to your printer as you scan. I know, not helpful, but thought I should put that seed in your head for the next time you will be looking for a printer+scanner.

Here's a low tech idea for you. have 3 sets at any time - orignal, copy for home/reference, copy to give out when someone asks (not having to make the copies at the time of the request) and be disciplined about replenishing it immediately.

We have an ikea expedit and use one cube (with a cube insert box) at this time for DS' stuff. Soon, it will require more, and then we will allot more space.

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    what are the categories of what you have? this always helps me figure out what I need.

Is there a set of stuff you need to have but not ready at hand (that lends itself to a file system -- hanging folders) and a set of stuff you need to have when you leave the house (that lends itself to a 3 ring binder)?

Categories--hmmn, lets see. I guess there would be school related stuff. Qualifying diagnosis stuff, many private evals of different types, info on the diagnosis, info on strategies for the diagnosis, and whatever else I can't think of right now.

Mostly I need a system for the things I need to keep at the house. I don't really grab much for meetings, etc.

I am kind of leaning towards a 3 ring binder and keeping these things in protected pockets.

[QUOTE=bullkin;3792555]I have to say that that was the reason I also decided to invest in a sightly better printer+scanner. It has a feeder and is wireless, so, I just put the reports in the feeders and hit the scan button. I also somtimes do a whole bunch at a time and later divvy up the pdfs into separate pdfs - saves a lot of time and can be done anytime versus being tethered to your printer as you scan. I know, not helpful, but thought I should put that seed in your head for the next time you will be looking for a printer+scanner.

Here's a low tech idea for you. have 3 sets at any time - orignal, copy for home/reference, copy to give out when someone asks (not having to make the copies at the time of the request) and be disciplined about replenishing it immediately.

.[/Quote-

What kind of printer/scanner do you have? I don't think that's in the cards for me, but it doesn't hurt for me to have the info!

Your low tech idea is good--there is literally just so much different stuff--I do think the pocket idea can work for me though.

We have the epson workforce-845 that we bought at an end-of-year sale.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast