Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Honestly, I would consider just not sending him the last 2 weeks. It's only preschool.
    well that makes sense to me. I would def consider not sending him at all for 2 weeks til school is over. I would avoid having him object and then not sending him. If that makes sense.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Honestly, I would consider just not sending him the last 2 weeks. It's only preschool.
    We were seriously considering this. But then he was really sick all last week and missed school. And I think being off the schedule was really hard on him. his behavior was awful. I have activiites planned for him all summer but they don't start til school is out. So we'll have to decide what's worse- the teacher or his behavior without school. .

Today went well btw, after he spent some time in the room huddled in a corner. But this is according to the assistant teacher who really can't read whether he is ready to explode until he starts screaming and hitting everyone. But he did come out of school hugging and laughing with his friends. So hopefully he'll want to come back tomorrow.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know what a difficult situation this is.

My DD went through a stage in Kindergarten where every day for nearly a month I had physically push her onto the bus. She absolutely did not want to go to school. It was tough, but I knew it was the best thing for her (and me!) that she went. We worked on coping skills and practically everyday talked about why she didn't want to go to school. I would remind her about everything she loved about school and that her teachers and friends would be sad if she weren't there. I also told her that if she refused to get on the bus, I would drive her to school anyway. Much of her anxiety about going were due to disruptions in schedule also- especially going back after a long break such as Christmas and Spring break.

As DD has gotten older, her ability to handle transitions and routine changes has improved tremendously, and I would like to think that my being firm and letting her know the expectations with regards to school attendance helped her to develop the coping skills she needed.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW, I know many parents of special needs kids who don't send their kids to school the last week. And I mean elementary school. There is no work done and lots of "parties" and "fun" which generally means chaos and no regular routine.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

FWIW, I know many parents of special needs kids who don't send their kids to school the last week. And I mean elementary school. There is no work done and lots of "parties" and "fun" which generally means chaos and no regular routine.
    That is an excellent point. I'll have to find out what they have planned. Unfortunately, having a twin sister means Greenbean would find out if he missed out on anything fun they were doing in the classroom. I think he'd be mad at me if he missed the fun and treats.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2